Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have what appears to be an excess of crankcase pressure that is blowing out of the oil breather tube when I run up the throttle. Happened while driving after about 200 miles towards end of trip. Was running fine up until then at about 70 mph, 4th gear, slight uphill, pulling small trailer. quick puff of white smoke and then bad loss of power.

I was able to limp off the freeway along the shoulder until someone showed up and we eventually trucked her back 200 miles to home. It runs a little rough now, but starts up easily and idles without the need to increase throttle... no other leaks or obvious damage.

Plenty of oil pressure. Tight belt. New carb installed about 400 miles ago. (pict 34). vales adjusted several years ago, but have only put about 500 miles on the engine since doing it. Does anyone had a direction I can start with? My initial thoughts are valve train related... stuck/weak valve spring.... weak valve, burnt seat(s)... not sure..

Thanks all!! Wont be running the old girl for Labor day.... but want to get her back into shape.

LineRider

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No Answers

Wondering why I have not received any answers for my post. Was it that dumb of a question folks? I can work on your Harleys all day long, but VW's are a little new to me so I was hoping for some expert help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts