Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think in the vw world the mende is probably the only true bolt on deal. Other than movement of the engine location and stud length its pretty much a bolt in deal. Those boxes are NOT CHEAP either. So, in other words, why start with something expensive and THEN have to do a bunch of custom clutch, engine plate, spacer work just to bolt it in?

In reality a GOOD vw gearbox with the right car setup can last a long time. Guys get greedy with the 60ft and overlook many aspects of what makes a car work I think and they pay for it by loosing parts......

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Newk said:
In reality a GOOD vw gearbox with the right car setup can last a long time. Guys get greedy with the 60ft and overlook many aspects of what makes a car work I think and they pay for it by loosing parts......
Unless your making MEGA HP I totally agree!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
the hewlands are trick lookin trannys. i think you can get them in a six speed but your going to pay 20k for it.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
I'm about 3k in my T1 swing, and I'd claim its as strong as a T1 swing can possibly get. Still, though, its the weak link in the chain.

Jeff, didn't you put well over 200 hard passes on your T1 (witout even having it our for a refresh) before it finally had enough?

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
The Tranny is as strong as the weakest link is our case the weak link is the axels. type 1 with clutch management built right will handle an awfull lot.
500 + hp to the ground with 500 ft lbs of torque so far so good.
Jerry

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I had over 400 (wheels up) passes on my Folts built type 1 box before I bent the hockey stick and 1/2 slider. I guess my shift into second gear was getting a bit over-zealous. lol.

On tear-down I decided I had enough of the pro-rings on 1/2 and replaced them with synchros. No tow vehicle allowed in any of the classes I race in locally so getting around the pits was harsh. I'd say the second gear pro-rings were almost done by that point anyway. Swapped the ring and pinion out for a good used one at that time since we saw what might have been some cracks in the ring gear as well.

I think not overdoing the clutch is the secret to sucessful gearbox life. I'd rather burn up a clutch disk and spend $120 every couple years having the pressureplate, flywheel, and disk rebuilt than do a trans overhaul.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
What is a recommended clutch set up to keep from tearing up your trans?. I.E ring and pinions. I have a 2400 lb pressure plate and six puck disk.I now feel its over kill. esspecialy since im only running 14.10.s.
i did put slicks on to to help the 60 ft.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What are your engine specs? That is definitely overkill, you could get away with a stage 1 pressure plate and a heavy duty daikin disk if you are not running a huge motor. Otherwise a stage 2 pressure plate with the same disk will hold up to an 11 second motor no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
The car is heavy. about 2150 with driver. I had a cushion grip with the 2400 plate and i found some bluing on the flywheel.That was after alot of driving though. The hp is about 140 ish. I do like to launch hard.
i was luanching at 5000 with the street tires. I pushed it to 6000 with the slicks to eliminate the bog.And
now wouldnt you know i have broken 2 ring and pinions in two months.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What's up Brian, next time tell me it's you! lol Try that setup, it will be a lot easier on your trans. If you are going to do any upgrades to the engine in the future go with a stage 2 with the same disk I mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
That's the thing... Fortin and Hewland have been around for a long time, road race and Baja 500 cars, but they are very spendy even compared to a Mendi...

A well known import racer, pioneer almost, put an inverted Fortin transaxle in his FWD Honda. That inovative car, longitudinal engine hanging in front of axle centerline, had a crap-load of wins in the late 90's thru early 2002 when they retired it for a Pro rear wheel drive car. He told me boxes cost him $12k each.

·
Registered
12 Posts
High dollar Trans pics ...

During my visit @ Weddle ind.
I saw some cool gear boxes .

Albins Australian Gearboxes for off road (about 100 kgs : 200lbs )

Well know mendeola

10 or maybe 11.5 inch Ring&Pinion vs VW R/P

Weddle Industrie Goleta . CA

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Jeez Charlie, you sure know how to give a guy "ring and pinion envy"! Everytime I see a Mendi in pieces, the hair on the back of my neck stands up

I had heard Albins makes a 'dog' shifted version for clutchless up-shifting that they mostly sell to Rally drivers (also not cheap)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts