Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the thread we would love to have you members start posting the "History" of our community

Scan newsletters,vintage photos, etc

Here is to hoping this grows into a data base we can share for years to come

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was involved with helping to plan the initial Sacramento Bug-O-Rama's in the late '70s. We used to meet at a VW speed shop called "Al's Race Shop" on Fair Oaks Blvd and discuss. I have old pictures from the first and second Sacramento BOR in 1978, '79 in an old photo album in my garage. Is that the type of stuff you're looking for? Racing and some car show pictures. I think I was 17 years old when I took them so they're pretty old, like me now.

Tom

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flat4tom said:
I was involved with helping to plan the initial Sacramento Bug-O-Rama's in the late '70s. We used to meet at a VW speed shop called "Al's Race Shop" on Fair Oaks Blvd and discuss. I have old pictures from the first and second Sacramento BOR in 1978, '79 in an old photo album in my garage. Is that the type of stuff you're looking for? Racing and some car show pictures. I think I was 17 years old when I took them so they're pretty old, like me now.

Tom
Tom that would all be great photos stories etc!!

Hoping this will gather all the historical data

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I really think the best way to compile info is in one location. Sub groups can be organized as info comes in. It will be a library on line in my mind. E-girl bring that info over and be the first to get it done...trend setter to the stars. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eric madson said:
I really think the best way to compile info is in one location. Sub groups can be organized as info comes in. It will be a library on line in my mind. E-girl bring that info over and be the first to get it done...trend setter to the stars. :thumbsup:
I agree Eric and that was the idea behind this for sure. One location for all historical photos,stories,data etc

I invite E-girl to bring the info she linked back and post here

Also invited
Kevin or Jason PRA
Gene ECPRA
Chad TXPRA
Dominick & Troy Unlimited street east and west
And any and all who have something to share with history of VW drag racing

All are welcome

Thanks

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Very cool. It would be great to see all reply for the community. I would also like to see some of the NASA, Gold series(?) and all other groups.I will have to find some old Denver info when it was the Small Car Specialties Quick 16 race in Denver. Cali vs the Mountains before the PRA made the venture.

It would be great to see the history of the greats and fathers as well. Bergs and the Gasser class cars come to mind.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
eric madson said:
Very cool. It would be great to see all reply for the community. I would also like to see some of the NASA, Gold series(?) and all other groups.I will have to find some old Denver info when it was the Small Car Specialties Quick 16 race in Denver. Cali vs the Mountains before the PRA made the venture.

It would be great to see the history of the greats and fathers as well. Bergs and the Gasser class cars come to mind.
Yea we need a Race For The Gold source of info,anyone?

Rod Schultz ?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I was the very first points Champion for the Race For The Gold series, that was almost 30 years ago I think...I don't remember much more than that, it was way too long ago.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dominick Luppino said:
I was the very first points Champion for the Race For The Gold series, that was almost 30 years ago I think...I don't remember much more than that, it was way too long ago.
Thanks and Congrats Dominick

Who would know I forget it has been so long

Rod was a organizer wasnt he?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
No, Gene Berg was, Rod Sr and Rod Jr were just racers, I think I beat Gary Berg for the championship that year, there were some tough guys in that series.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dominick Luppino said:
No, Gene Berg was, Rod Sr and Rod Jr were just racers, I think I beat Gary Berg for the championship that year, there were some tough guys in that series.
Oh ok

I have a photo of the RFG booth or pits and Rod's SumFun is in front of the banner so I made assumption

Thanks for clearing it up

That is what this thread is for is getting a clear history and verifying facts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts