Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what is the proper way, if there is one, to wash a Fire suit. I have a Simpson Multilayer jacket and pant that I want to clean. Should I dry clean, wash at home in cold water, hang dry,...or what? I have heard that there is an additive that can be put in the wash that will restore or maitain the fire suit fire protection. Is that BS or what? Unfortunatly, I have one or thrity oil stains on the sleeves and knees and want to at least look good if not running good.

P-

· Premium Member
6,099 Posts
2manytoys said:
Just wondering what is the proper way, if there is one, to wash a Fire suit. I have a Simpson Multilayer jacket and pant that I want to clean. Should I dry clean, wash at home in cold water, hang dry,...or what? I have heard that there is an additive that can be put in the wash that will restore or maitain the fire suit fire protection. Is that BS or what? Unfortunatly, I have one or thrity oil stains on the sleeves and knees and want to at least look good if not running good.

P-
I wouldn't worry about it Pat. John Force doesn't wash his suit and look at all of his success.

· Premium Member
8,992 Posts
CARE AND CLEANING OF YOUR DRIVING SUIT ( Blatantly stolen from the SPR manual)

Before wearing any suit for the first time, it is imperative to dry clean or wash suit to insure it’s fire rating. During manufacturing of the materials, chemical residue, starch, dyes and contaminates are introduced. Failure to clean, first may cause skin rash, itching, color transfer and reduce fire protection. After each use, suit should be cleaned following the below instructions and stored in a lint-free container or bag.
Washing Suit: Hand wash in cool water, using only Woolite, is recommended. Machine washing on gentle cycle only and Cool cycle spin drying is acceptable. We do recommend hang drying on a wooden hanger with a towel wrapped around the hanger to simulate shoulders.
Dry Cleaning: If you choose to have it dry-cleaned , make sure the cleaner regularly changes cleaning solution and to go light on the cleaning solution. For washing or cleaning, suit should be turned inside out and placed in a nylon net bag to prevent seam stress and material separation from agitation. Never Use Bleach or Phosphte detergents on any fire suit. Do Not Iron or use Steam Pressers.
Avoid contact under all conditions with grease, oil or solvents. Any stains lower fire protection ratings significantly. When not in use or use not need for a long period of time, keep out of sunlight to prevent fading. This will give you suit many years of color-bright service. Security Race Products (SRP) does not guarantee against color fade, nor will the original fabric manufacturer. Color life is solely dependent upon sunlight (ultra-violet rays) exposure and/or cleaning procedures and suit care.

Site was last updated on January 04, 2010

· Premium Member
696 Posts
buggdude67 said:
I wouldn't worry about it Pat. John Force doesn't wash his suit and look at all of his success.
John does wash his suits... Its the clutch dust that stains the nomex...

Just an intresting fact about force and his suits. He doesnt get a new one at the begining of the year. He gets his new ones half way threw... Always has....

· Premium Member
6,099 Posts
The D.O.M. said:
John does wash his suits... Its the clutch dust that stains the nomex...

Just an intresting fact about force and his suits. He doesnt get a new one at the begining of the year. He gets his new ones half way threw... Always has....

Wow Dom, I didn't know that. I just guessed, so that means I am wrong. Ok Patrick, you can commence with the cleaning.

· Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, The dry clean only label on my jacket is very specific. Dry Clean Only. Dry Clean Alone and specify using Perchloroethylene. Went to the local Dry Clean shop and they don't use that chemical in very many Cleaners. The EPA has been hard on a lot of businesses that use this stuff I am told. It is referred to as Dry Cleaning with "Perk".

I was also told my the owner of an indoor Karting track, that there is a detergent that can be used to Wash fire suits. I think it is called "Molecule"? I will double check with him.

· Premium Member
696 Posts
Jeff Lovell said:
Dom did you try it on ?
buggdude67 said:
Oh man, you know I would have. I probably could get my bigness into his suit.
When i worked there, i had to check and re check so many suits, it got old to be honest....

out of all the guys who came in it had to be larry dixon and frank pedragon who were the coolist dudes...
both of them took us out to lunch.... Very cool dudes...

Pat, i will hook ya up buddy... LOL

I will check with my buddy about machine wash and see what he says about it... and get back to you tomorrow

· Registered
1 Posts
Simple but effective recommendations from my own experience. When washing your car and windows, it's important to use the right techniques to avoid leaving behind streaks or scratches. Using microfiber towels for windows Glass microfiber towels | Best microfiber cloth for windows is a great way to achieve a flawless finish. First, wet the towel with water or a cleaning solution, then wipe the surface in a back-and-forth motion. Finally, use a dry microfiber towel to buff the surface to a shine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts