Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

INSANITY Bug

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  jamesabdon 
#1 ·
This is one of the first turbo cars I remember from back in the day. It was sponsored by BAE. There was a lot of cars running BAE turbos back then, but this car really looked and ran awesome. Loved it.

See less See more
#13 ·
WOW ! THat car brings back memories 1980-82, the owner was Jim Abdon ,it was 1600cc, I believe it had berg crank,carrillo rods,& arias pistons, he
told me he reused used 1600 cyl. It had weber draw thru with cool can, I also believe it ran about 30 lbs boost, maybe as much 40lbs. Hell that thing
ran 11.20 at 120 mph

#14 ·
Hey Guys,
That was my brother Jim's Car. He built it from the ground up when i was about 10 years old. I went to every race , bug-in & bug-out.
The ironic thing is that after seeing that final pic of the crashed car. It looks just like it did when jim bought it out of a back yard for $10.00.
He was running a stock 1600 engine with a single weber sidedraft carb. BAE Turbo with nitrous oxide. He and Bob "BAE TURBO Bug" were actually
Brother in-laws. Mike Smith was his best friend and "Der California Kafer" Club Member. BTW you are correct that the lady in bobs plane was not his wife...

Attachments

#15 ·
CalKafer said:
Hey Guys,
That was my brother Jim's Car. He built it from the ground up when i was about 10 years old. I went to every race , bug-in & bug-out.
The ironic thing is that after seeing that final pic of the crashed car. It looks just like it did when jim bought it out of a back yard for $10.00.
He was running a stock 1600 engine with a single weber sidedraft carb. BAE Turbo with nitrous oxide. He and Bob "BAE TURBO Bug" were actually
Brother in-laws. Mike Smith was his best friend and "Der California Kafer" Club Member. BTW you are correct that the lady in bobs plane was not his wife...
Welcome and great 1st post for sure

Love the photos and history

Anymore photos, great car

#17 ·
If you have photos of Insanity feel free to post them, my biggest question is who are you, I only have one brother that was involved in Insanity Racing, Yes the new owner of BAE have made contact with me and would like to do a memorial on Bob, and yes that's hard subject to cover,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.