Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2332cc. 12 to 1 compression. Street Eliminator heads, 44 intakes, 37.5 exhaust, with a pro's porting. 86C cam, 48mm IDF's with 42mm vents. Drag only car, 1400 lbs. Currently I have 1 5/8" exhaust, wanting to go higher but I think going too big on the exhaust is very common. Would 1 3/4" exhaust be worth my time and money to bother with, or should I stick with the 1 5/8"? When should I step up in size? When I get bigger valves in the heads?

I don't upgrade very often and I need to pick and choose my purchases very carefully. Also, if anyone spots anything in that equation above that shouldn't be, don't be afraid to let me know. Looking for 7.60's.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Change 3 things. First, go for 48IDA's Second, buy Scotties heads, and Third, with those heads put a 2" header on them. Maybe change the cam to the overall race cam, FK89, but only after doing step 1 2 3. Just my opinion. :twocents:

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
Eric, I was looking at you post about changes for next season.. I would not change too much.. and i know about budget, you have done an outstanding job of streching the dollars.. You said you had the heads done? you have any flow numbers? also I think you would be fine with a little more comp, if it is coolingt good now. a bump to the 14 range should give you another2.5-3 percent power through out the power band... also Idas are a whole lot easier to tune and make dependable power. I gained .10 in rthe 1/8 and a full .25 second 1/4 mile on a low powered 1776 ..On first pass with a switch to IDAs.. You should see an easy 5 or more HP.. those two changes alone, with new springs and a good valve job should see 7.50-7.60s.. Then you may see about borrowing an inch and three quaters header.. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Mr Pocaro: That is something I am comtemplating. I like to sneak up on going faster and faster, but I am at the point where it's almost more worth my time and effort to just step up and go big, transmision be damned.

Dan: my combo is unchanged as of yet, the motor info I gave in that origanal post was info that I plan on having done this winter. I don't have a 2332, I don't have any head work done, I don't have the 86C cam yet. (That's on the shelf next to the new 1.4 rockers and lifters)

Many people have told me many times that I need to go to IDA's. I would really prefer to stick with the IDF's, I have had them forever, I am very impressed with them, and they have truly been maintenance free. The jetting was even dead on right out of the box. I haven't ruled out stepping up to the IDA's, but I want to see what I can do with the old standbys next year. My question is: why EXACTLY are the IDA's so much better? If I have the same size vents as a comparable IDA, why would I make so much more power with them?

I just want to say that with my past on these type of questions, I am not being a smartass, just conversat-ting. I appreciate any input. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
THe IDA was designed from the very first as a RACE carburetor.. The IDF is a street car carb..Fewer compromises in the race stuff.. I have made more power with a smaller vent in a IDA.... little things mean a lot..Air is heavy.. moving at 200-300 ft per second it wants to go straight. any seemingly insignificant change in flow cam show up in the time slip. velocity stacks from two race Mfgs can show a gain/ loss... the air knows what it wants to do, and the engine will tell you what it likes...If you have stock, non ported SE heads done by a pro, and a slight comp bump, and a 1.4 cam, I think you will have your number, or quicker. with out all that expensive other stuff..What could it hurt to try? <THE POWER IS IN THE HEADS> Also FYI, a venturi, or for that matter, air flow, is not the entire picture. I have seen tests on engines where a Delloto carb made several more HP than a Weber of the same body and venturi size.. AND tests on a different engine by the same people where the weber made more power.. but it is pretty much proven that the IDA vw combo just flat works...Used By Ferrari, Shelby and F1 teams, the IDA is second only to Fuel Injection.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Go with the pro gas head. No worrying about the port job and if you ever need a new one it will be just like the old one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Change 3 things. First, go for 48IDA's Second, buy Scotties heads, and Third, with those heads put a 2" header on them. Maybe change the cam to the overall race cam, FK89, but only after doing step 1 2 3. Just my opinion. :twocents:
sounds kinda reasonable, to tell you the truth. Speaking of money, wasting them and then again earning. I personally can't spend money wisely, that's why I need to work harder to get money back and buy useful things, food for instancce, lol. I started to take onlne surveys alongside my main job, it helps a lot to earn money and feel a little bit more free. So, I take paid surveys and receive extra money, thanks to this site, really useful. Try to check it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
? 44 idf intake same as ida , back in day late 80 & early 90 run pro gas in IVWA run 2110 with super flow heads fk 89 cam ,1 5/8 exhaust 48 ida , car weight 1370 ,ran 6.90 to 7.10 . Last week pick up car lots good parts 2110 an tranny's ,but 44idf is it worth running them ,I'm building. 57 oval over winter ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts