Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my friend and fellow racer at NCVWDRA.

I have decided it is time to move on. Crying I have finished my last year of fully time racing. Crying All of my equipment is up for sale. Motor home, trailer, Race car, everything..

So far Most of it is sold Tom has bought my motor home, Eric will get my Tom Simpson motor, I have some one looking at my trailer and a friend wants my golf cart just have to make the final deal on those to thing. May bus auto is going to do some traveling most likely going down under if I can ever get a shipping cost. I hope my rolling chassis will go to some one that needs a race car to help him step up from his street car Geoff....
Not must left.

I am not out completely still have my street car which I like to get down the track some more. Angela and I will be at a couple of NCVWDRA races for sure and we will do a couple of shows to. But for no it time to slow down...

Wayne

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
It is really hard giving up something you are really passionate about , I know because I did the exact same thing last fall. Since selling the race car to Stephen I have been helping him and actually watched the car become even better in some ways than when I had it. Like you I have my street car with my 2387 turbo engine from the Pro Outlaw car so I can still go fast when I want to. I guess life didn't end when I quit racing , I just turned a page and began another story. Mike McCarthy

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this, Wayne. After I crashed my Ghia I bought a Harley. That keeps me happy but I'd rather race my Ghia. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Sometimes we just have to step back but the more important thing is to not step out. Wayne you and Angela are always welcome to any and all NCVWDRA events and look forward to still enjoying you guys company at any event anytime or place. PS dont buy a Harley those things will kill ya! Eric

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I respect your decision Wayne. Only you know when it's time to do something different. You can still compete with your street car
or just come hang out with the NCVWDRA racers anytime you like. Your apartment is always ready for you. :happy: If it's time to turn
a new page in your VW life, so be it. Love you cuz!

Besides, at your advanced age we would be looking at adding a "seniors" class for you and a couple other guys soon anyways. :tease:

Do you want a wing on your rocking chair or no?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wayne - Life can take us in many directions. My hope is that this is a step forward for you and yours. I've enjoyed watching you race -- and the occasional opportunity to chat -- since the early '90s (Milan, Indy, Xenia, etc.). One on my earliest memories is when you brought your newly finished car to the Michigan Bugout. My son, who I believe was around 5 at the time, was looking at the shiny blue anodized interior through the window. You stepped up, opened the door, and told him to "hop in and buckle up". I still have that picture as a screen saver today. Again, I wish you all the best going forward. -- Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice to have the memories and stories to tell about the sick fast VW you used to drag race.
I totally understand Wayne. Racing takes a lot out of you and the pocketbook.
Slowing down is nice too.
I'm so thankful to take stewardship of the motor home/hauler.
I will treat her well for atleast one more generation.
Please make your mark on her before delivery. Some kind of honor badge that folks will ask about when they see it.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Sorry to see you move on Wayne, but it has to happen sometime for all of us. Hopefully I can make it along as you have in the racing world and with as much success. I know you will find a good home for the bug and somebody will have as much fun with it as you have. Hell, it will probably stay with in the North Coast people.

Take care

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wayne---sad to hear the news. You and Angela have done a great job at representing Canada in the VW drag scene over the years. I can understand the difficulty in giving up something that you love.

Nobby and I are also getting close to calling it a day. Even though I'm retired, it's tough finding the time to devote to the car with our other interests. Take care and stay in touch.

Brian Bly

·
Registered
964 Posts
Now that you have all sorts of free time Wayne, I'll be expecting you to pop by for a coffee once in a while. :thumbsup:

Happy New Trails.

brad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts