Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I still have the original small cassette tapes of the "20 questions" interview I did with Joe. They are starting to degrade a little, and I need to get them transferred to CD or something.

The small amount of time I spent with Joe, still rates as some of the BEST time I had as a VW Magazine dork.
I know that the story now says "By Staff" or "VWT" or something, when I left VWT for HVWs, The Editor of VWT stripped my name from everything I had ever done there. It's okay, as long as he didn't put HIS name on it...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Oh my very sad to hear!
I do remember when he and Richard came out to the Florida Bug Jam a few years ago.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
kaferdave said:
I still have the original small cassette tapes of the "20 questions" interview I did with Joe. They are starting to degrade a little, and I need to get them transferred to CD or something.

The small amount of time I spent with Joe, still rates as some of the BEST time I had as a VW Magazine dork.
I know that the story now says "By Staff" or "VWT" or something, when I left VWT for HVWs, The Editor of VWT stripped my name from everything I had ever done there. It's okay, as long as he didn't put HIS name on it...
Dave, didn't Trends even go as far as to airbrush a photo of one of your stories so you weren't visible? I think it was a disc brake install or something like that, and the main photo had a shot of your oval at the shop where the install was done. I thought the byline thing was mighty weak of them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
ryan68bug said:
Dave, didn't Trends even go as far as to airbrush a photo of one of your stories so you weren't visible? I think it was a disc brake install or something like that, and the main photo had a shot of your oval at the shop where the install was done. I thought the byline thing was mighty weak of them.
Ryan, yes, they (he) did. It was the CB Performance front wide 5 disc brake install.I was taken right out of the photo.
I think what hurt the worst was the editorial after I left, calling ALL of my efforts @ VWT "half-assed".
I got over it, but I haven't forgotten it..
Anyway, I feel so fortunate to have known Joe, and spent time with him, I had always wanted to sit down with a BIG cup of coffee, and a bunch of recording tape, and say "okay, Joe, start at the beginning" and the 20 questions deal gave me a partial opportunity to do so.
I hope the general rank and file VW gearhead, realizes the contributions Joe made. Brian Watts is right- if it wasn't for Joe, probably UAC, HVWs, and a lot of other stuff wouldn't have been possible.
I wish everybody could have known Joe, they would have been a better person for it, I know I sure am...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Brian, Paul Schley told me an interesting story about that Vittone/Champion ad. The story goes that Champion Spark plugs wanted to do a dsiplay ad with Joe and his VW at Riverside International Raceway, with the famous bridge in the background. That ad ended up going into the national version of TV Guide, which at the time was the largest circulation magazine around. That ad, costs over $42,000 to run (1972 Dollars!) for one week, in every state, every time zone. Joe got a freebie to say the least. When you look at that ad, who got the most press, Champion Spark Plugs or Empi? Schley was standing to the right of Joe outside of the photo, and suggested Joe place his foot on the bumper, and that image ended up being the one they used. Joe was a very smart business man!

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
That's cool info. Just for perspective, that $42,000 is about $213,000 in today's dollar. For the amount of media purchased, and exposure, that was a killer deal! That's probably nothing for Champion, considering at the time virtually everyone used their plugs in the US. No doubt, Joe was a smart guy!

Some perspective for you. A one day only full page b/w ad is $201,000 in the Wall Street Journal – that's just to buy the space!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, when did Joe pass away? I'm surprised because he was always so strong in his will to get things done. I've known Joe since 1961 and worked for him a few times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brian, Paul Schley told me an interesting story about that Vittone/Champion ad. The story goes that Champion Spark plugs wanted to do a dsiplay ad with Joe and his VW at Riverside International Raceway, with the famous bridge in the background. That ad ended up going into the national version of TV Guide, which at the time was the largest circulation magazine around. That ad, costs over $42,000 to run (1972 Dollars!) for one week, in every state, every time zone. Joe got a freebie to say the least. When you look at that ad, who got the most press, Champion Spark Plugs or Empi? Schley was standing to the right of Joe outside of the photo, and suggested Joe place his foot on the bumper, and that image ended up being the one they used. Joe was a very smart business man!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Deno, Thanx for that story!!! I agree, joe was a cunning business leader. When he purchased that land out on Adams and Indiana, Joe told me that he was going to talk the City of Riverside into promoting the Auto Center where it is now, and that the City of Riverside was going to support that effort with deep discounts!!! They did, and they are to this day!!!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts