Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strokers...I'm in the process of gathering parts for my next engine, so far I have really nice set of Clyde Berg oval port heads and a case both opened up to 94's. The case has been clearanced and can accommodate up to a 86mm stroke. I've never really been a fan of ultra long stroke engines and was planning on using a 78mm to build a 2165 but when I talk about what I'm planning on building, I usually get a response something like "why that size, you should go as big as stroke as you can" or something along those lines, you get the picture. So now I'm starting to doubt my original plan. The reason I picked a 78mm stroke is really because I like the rod ratio it offers over the longer strokes plus I've driven several different combinations over the years and the 78mm stoke always feels great by the seat of the pants, especially for a street fighter.

So here's my question; is it always bigger is better when it comes to aircooled's? I don't mind turning it upstairs to get the power, in fact I like it but it's still needs to be a a streetable, fair weathered, fun time street fighter so a mouse motor really isn't what I'm looking for.

Whatcha all think?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Im building a 78.4 x 94 mm right now for my car , yeah bigger is nice , the cost is the same , I built it because I need a narrow motor , my whole combination in my car right now is narrow so my prime objective was to build a stroker that I can just transfer all my custom tin, fan , intakes and exhaust over without 2 much trouble , so that's why im building the 78.4

5.4 rods with B pistons , decked the aluminum case .065 , came up with exactly .040 deck , took about .070 off the head , 12 to 1 compression on E-85 ..

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
my race motor is a 78x94 my street motor is 84x90.5 which makes them allmost the same size I wanted torque in the street car and high revs with the race car

1 - 3 of 3 Posts