Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, yesterday was my first time racing in over 4 years. Since then I have changed my gearing from my setup which ran a best of 11.64 @ 114mph back to a stock box with a 4.12 r/p. so I wasn't sure how the car was going to do and how I was going to do. Not going to lie, I was a bit nervous.

I was hoping to break into the 11's with the stock box. Passed tech and was ready to go after going through the car. After the long morning break my first pass was giving way at 11:40. Did the burnout which btw feels soooooo nice to be doing again! Went through the mental checklist... Use the line lock for burnout, make sure you're in second gear, make sure to go back to first gear to line up, hold down the 2 step at the line, etc etc.... Well the first pass I decided to sleep at the line and got a .284 R/T and got through all the gears to a 12.07 @ 104.72. Far off from my best, but not a bad start.

I was finally back to racing, loving it, and throughout the day I achieved my first ever perfect light. I was pretty excited to be able to make it into the semi-finals where I was racing someone with the same dial-in as me (12.10). I had him beat at the line with reaction (0.80 to his .178) and all the way through the 1000' mark, when I looked back to see he wasn't near me, so I slowed down to not out race my dial in and my dumb self decided to tap the brakes a little too soon towards the finish line and he skated around me when I was unable to get back into it because of the stock 4th gear I now have... Oh well that's racing.

Yesterday was a great day, from the great help given to me by Matt Becker as my crew chief, all my racing friends who noticed me back in the car (which I would have thought you guys forgot about me by now ha), the perfect light, making it to the semi's and being able to DRIVE it back home without it breaking anything.

When's the next race!

Picture is of me being cheesy and Matt hating to take pictures haha

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually took special notice of your car and pointed it out to my sweetie. As an ex racer I noticed you launched very well and you made some very steady passes. One of my favorites. Excellent job!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Glad to see you back Jason. Hope to see you back at the last Drag Day later this year too. 12.07 is still pretty impressive for a true pump gas motor and Delortos and all steel car with real glass! Now you just gotta talk Matt into coming back out too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh haven't stopped racing. I was at bug-in with my street car, but its not the same as being in the race car. Jason i'm always happy to help you out at the track. Good job!

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
Nice job..Strong ET for the MPH.. Post a slip, if you would be so kind.Those Dells can work just peachy.That the basic combo you ran 7.30s before?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You actually inspired me to race my 67 street car. I have made the neccessary investments in race-quality engine, trans and suspension. Now I just need to quit making excuses (too far to drive, afraid to break something, etc, etc). I have not driven a VW down a quarter mile since 1990! When is the next race? LOL

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
58vw - the color is Porsche cobalt metallic blue... Or it should be of the painter did a better job...

Kevin - I plan on being there, me and Matt are also planning on racing this Saturday at Fontana again for the street legals. Gotta get that stock box in the 11s.

Mag00 - same combo that ran best of 7.24 but this time it has a stock box in it which seems to slow it down quite a bit and my 60' is off about 0.10 from what it used to do, so I'll try to figure out why. E.T slips are attached of my best ET and best MPH from this weekend.

Henry - going racing this Saturday... Come on down and you can pit with me and Matt :)

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
It ran 7.20 in the eight, I sold the car about 4 years ago, I dont know why that picture came on the post, anyway I am a big fan of your car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts