Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems there are plenty of choices available. I'm currently running a CSP with my carbs and am wondering if the linkage is allowing the carbs to open just a bit as the engine warms to operating temp. I seem to be plagued with banging in the exhaust which among other things is an indication that the carbs are out of synch. I also have a Berg linkage that I used to use on my old engine with kadrons. I know there are others out there... What are you're preferences and why?

·
Registered
173 Posts
IDA linkage

I have the CB Performance hex bar linkage on my IDA's and have been very happy with this set-up. I've used both tall and short manifolds with different heads, and the linkage adjusted nicely for all the various combos.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought Jacks (Jaycee) billet centre pull setup for my IDAs......it's really really nice!!! I haven't run yet but can tell its gonna be a good system!

·
Registered
12 Posts
55rag, can that jaycee center pull linkage be ran with a fan shroud? Does both carbs open completely and evenly at wot. I have an empi linkage with idas , and the left one doesnt open completely at wot, I think cuz the manifolds are not offset ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Helleri, I set my cross bar side to side play , and everything else for that matter, when the engine is hot. Its gonna get wider as it gets hot. On mine theres no hex bar play when cold, when hot theres about 1-2mm of play. Hope that helps !!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah there are 2 versions, race and street....the street works with a shroud. And yes the carbs follow each other perfectly through the range of throttle idle to wide open. Very nice kit for sure!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I believe that the CSP linkage I am currently running is not my issue. I believe that my situation is a lean spot in the progression between the idle circuit and main circuit of the carbs. Not linkage related.

I am interested in the synch link though. What kind of fan shroud are you running? I'm running a thing shroud and tried to contact Pete at synch link to see if he had a kit that will work with it. Thanks again Doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thx 55rag, I'll look into it, I think I'm loosing some top end hp with that one carb not opening fully ..thx again.......helleri, I guess your carbs(idas?) Doesnt have the 3rd hole progression ? mine only has two .Mine had that stumble between progression. Then I took off the stock velocity stacks and installed the taller and wider stacks(cheap empi spun aluminum ones) and theres almost no dead spot, but then again idk how big your head is or cam !!.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dwidgtly, My IDAs are drilled for the third progression hole. I'm running the stock velocity stacks and the aux velocity stack. I think it's just a matter of fooling around with the air correction jet in order to turn the main jet on sooner. But I'll keep your finding in mind if this is still a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went with a 120 idle air jet ,now that you mention that. I think you should try those bigger stacks to make those jets and ports work a little harder !! Good luck on your tuning !!! Keep me posted !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts