Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I believe that is Dan Spickerts (sp?) speedtser that crashed at a BOR right after he made some improvements to the roll cage and qualified #1 that day

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes that was Dan's car. It is the same car that is shown on page 1 that has "Falcon Abrasives " written on the side. He crashed the car at BOR against John Shuguer at about the 1000' mark. A direct left hand turn into the rail. Luckily Dan had just upgraded the cage in the car otherwise he may have been hurt a lot more than he was. He suffered a concusion, broken collar bone, a leg injury and some assorted cuts and bruises.
Thanks to Greg U. and his tools and quick thinking, Dan was cut out of the car and taken to the hospital. Thank you Greg!!

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Ken Jevec said:
Yes that was Dan's car. It is the same car that is shown on page 1 that has "Falcon Abrasives " written on the side. He crashed the car at BOR against John Shuguer at about the 1000' mark. A direct left hand turn into the rail. Luckily Dan had just upgraded the cage in the car otherwise he may have been hurt a lot more than he was. He suffered a concusion, broken collar bone, a leg injury and some assorted cuts and bruises.
Thanks to Greg U. and his tools and quick thinking, Dan was cut out of the car and taken to the hospital. Thank you Greg!!
It was Art Tharen who supplied the battery powered sawzall used to cut the cage apart to remove Dan. Very scary crash.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Love the look of outrage and that flamed car the body's look to have different lines are those owner mods or were there different molds?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I had the pleasure of owning one of LME stretched versions. Its was my 1st race car build. My dad and I drove to Cali, picked up the body, and built everything ourself. I guess you could say that was the beginning of my VW race car fabrication career...

I'll see if I can dig up some photos...

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
lance gregory said:
love the cars. Pat have you ran the pink one yet? I would love to see more of them running.
I am actually hoping to run it this year at maybe a NASA event, or even Bugorama. The funny thing Lance is that I don't really fit in the car, kind of like you in Larry's dragster. I am going to see about adjusting the seat. It needs slicks and front tires, and a freshen up on the motor. I am scared that I might like the turbo power and get pulled to the Dark Side......

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Come to the dark side Luke

·
Registered
249 Posts
Brian Davis said:
Love the look of outrage and that flamed car the body's look to have different lines are those owner mods or were there different molds?
I've got a few pictures of the Outrage one in it's various guises in the UK on my computer at home, I'll see what I can dig up later (unless someone else beats me to it!)

·
Registered
249 Posts
danny allen said:
thanks Neil, much appreciated
Danny, looks like I lost them on a computer change a few years ago - you got anything?

If I remember right, the speedster came into the UK with a shortened floorpan but the wheelbase lengthened in front of the bulkhead with a beam axle. It was painted in white with green scallops in the US, then I'm not sure if it went blue ("Too Awesome" German Car Company livery) or red/white (Paintbox colours) next, but it definately went both colours! After that it had the first Outrage colour scheme with black over pink, then the silver over pink with the stock style airbrushing. Then it went to Ralph Ridell and it became "The Riddler" in greeny-yellow, Matt had it minus the stickers, then Andy Kelly had it, painted it orange and finally threw the original floorpan away and had a tube chassis built by Jon Rathbone. He sold it to Toby after I finished with the VWDRC and then I lose track! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hot and sticky and Twisted are the same car. That is actually the original chassis used by the Red Rider stretched ghia of Mark Decon. Twisted lives here in Grand Junction CO. and is still raced as shown. That pic was shot in Salt Lake at the old Bonnival (sp?) Speedway Dragstrip in 1994.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I'm working with Mark right now for return to racing. He sent his 05 Tacoma yesterday from Honolulu. I'm picking it up in Oakland soon and a 45# container with tools and race stuff to arrive here in near future. He plans to be state side late spring Through Sept. His family is staying in Hawaii. Since the track closed on Oahu intra island transfer to Maui cost to much on a regular basis.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts