Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I have a new drag facility open up about 30 minutes away from my house I've started racing again! The first time out and everyone that came to help complained about how much walking they had to do, I guess it's time to get my golf cart done! I bought it a couple of years back because it was the right price, but have just let it set until I had time and energy to mess with it. Well, now's the time!

The day I brought it home, a little ratty but the name fit!

The first order of business......POWER! Being that I can't leave anything alone, the little 9hp engine just wasn't going to make the cut. I found a 18hp twin cylinder from a steam cleaning company off of Craigs list for $200, just have to make it fit.

Engine cradle ready for new motor plate.

Aluminum motor plate.

Engine installed, had to buy a new driven clutch made just for twin cylinder conversions to handle the added power. Now I just have to make it fit in the cart!

After doing some research, I found out that a 4" lift was minimum to fit the engine. I figure "go big or go home" so I went for a 6" lift. After looking around at prices for lift kits I decided to build my own.

The lift setup in the rear was pretty straight forward, just needed to flip the axle to the bottom of the leaf springs and make some spacers for axles.

The front was a little more involved. The stock front end.

Just some slight alterations needed.

Mike cutting parts for the lift out of some leftover diamond plate steel I had.

The end result, Straight outa Lo' Cash baby!

Now I have all this room that needs to be filled up because of the lift, off to ebay to find some wheels/tires.

Test fit on the rear.

The test fit on the front showed I needed some wheel spacers, so to the lathe I go!

Here it is front tire mounted!

Still have more to do, but for only working on it a few weekends it has come pretty far. My business is slow this time of year so I'm trying to get this done as fast as I can. I'll throw some pics up when new stuff happens.
Lester

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
NICE!

You will not regret getting the cart, it makes running around the track and pits so much easier. I love mine and just another useful tool'

Love the project photos, keep us updated on how that engine works out

And congrats on a new track opening by you as well

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
I had a 22.xx second bracket car years ago called "The Blue Blur" Think your machine be quicker...

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JC Quick said:
Oh Lester had some down time in the garage i see. I've seen a few things on that new track up there Oh is it?
Peter Scalzo and Douglas Borr are the guys building it, Pete has had three other tracks with one being in Miami. They are starting out slow and building up as they go. Great atmosphere there and the Green Cove Springs community is really behind it. I've been a few times now and improvements are evident each time I've gone. Already put a bug in Kathy Jacobs ear, hopefully we can have an all Vw race in Florida again! www.greencovedragway.com is their website. Back to working on the golf cart!
Lester

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After being super busy and not able to work on much I made some time for the golf cart. Got the exhaust finished up and the front bumper done as well as the tow hitch on the back.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
You went from two I-beams to two flat Z pieces -- Please tell me you put an X brace or something in there between those Z plates so they just wont bend over on the first hard turn......

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the bumper is connected to the front end which also incorporates a hard mounting point for the front body work.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I thought you were asking about the bumper, but after thinking about it your talking about the way I raised the front end. Yes, there is bracing welded in so it won't just fold over. A 4" wide piece of flat bar connects the two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts