Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have oil pressure issues with empi autolinea aluminum cases? I have built several engines before this is my first stroker vw, 76x90.5. oil pressure was fine 75psi during cam break in. Put about 20 Miles on it and put a load on it to seat rings to 5k rpm. Oil light was on at idle when i got home, swapped pump to 33mm still low. Tore the engine down and bearings looked great, replaced them anyway, still max 20 psi at 165 degrees 3500rpm 20 50 oil. Swapped out oil control valves and springs with no change. Full flow filter set up, changes filter to a wix and made sure lines were correct. Just stumped and want to drive my car, thanks for any help

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have no input on the case, but the spec for the oil pump body to case fit is 3 t 5 thousandths crush fit.
If it slides in/out (pull the studs first) you already lost.
(well known issue for decades)

Any Schadeck or mallory pump I have ever checked falls into the hole, so the pump sucks air and leaks pressure internally. This gets worse as things get hot... CBs pumps are made by schadeck, I have only checked a couple, but they were same. Revmaster makes their own, but ~no one needs a 38mm oil pump unless its just a scavenge stage...

Many folks oring the oil pumps OD, although this means the pump can really only be installed with the case apart, otherwise the orings get cut.

If you could lay your hands on an OG pump it would likely resolve the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think i figured it out, the case was cut too deep where the number 3 cylinder fits in. The oil passage wall was too thin, when revved it to 3500 the passage blew a hole. I blew air thru the full flow oil return and felt air coming thru, pushed it with my finger and pushed thru even more. Thanks for everyone's input, i tore the engine down after installing an oring pump. Waiting for a replacement case from the west coast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, sent it back and empi sent me another case after seeing the picture. Was almost out for delivery until the warranty dept stopped shipment and accused me of cutting it too deep. I told them i ordered pre cut because i had now way of cutting it on the east coast. I should know what they intend on doing this week. Car has been off the road for almost a year, frustrated for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts