Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
any of the NCVWDRA peeps have an opinion on the mendiola rear IRS suspension setups? i have a chance to buy a complete setup new in the box for about 1/2 of the OG price.....it's a 2" narrowed setup.....was thinking about adding it to the lowlight ghia since it's on a 71 IRS chassis already but i don't really have any complaints about the stock setup in it now....i am already running a solid rear mount a moore racing mid mount and a eurothane front.....and gas shocks.....the few times it's been around the block in my hood and rolling thru the parking lot at the pittsburgh show last year it rode fine.....not sure if it's worth the $$$ for the WOW factor......any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The stock stuff works really good, the Mendy stuff is better but heavier, but I don't know if it is worth the $$$ -- I guess at half price, maybe -- -- but someone would have to be under the car so see the WOW factor

just put the money into your motor (more HP/turbo) and trans would be my recommendation

I have to run a 13mm spacer to get my Porsche rims spaced out enough to fit past the spring plate -- I don't know what rims you would have to run with a 2" narrowed and I look at their stuff and they are still connecting to the stock location for the torsion bar,,, so I still see the conflict with the arm to run bigger tires -- the hot setup is a 6" torsion narrowing to get the big tires under the car

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank for the input.....i am still on the fence about it.....the motor behind it is going to be a 2020cc stroker (76x92) with a DLi super charger and am planning on upgrading the tranny to something much stronger than stock!!!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The DLI super charger is good for a stocker but doesn't pump enough volume for anything bigger -- go turbo -- I love the sound of a blown engine, but the cooling setup on a ACVW really kills the adaption on an efficient blower system IMO -- and turbo's sound cool in their own way

'70 Turbo Ghia on the Dyno - YouTube

1 - 4 of 4 Posts