yes i agree . i started out by attempting to fit stock trailing arms and working on locating the stock inner pivot .the stock arms and the inner pivot would take more modifying than it was worth .trust me i tried to make them work before going a new route .but also wanted to work on the geometry and how the raising and lowering of the inner pivot changes what .
i started with my basic jig which i have modified a dozen times from fitting stock arms to the point its at now which allows me to put the pivot in and location as well as the bearing housing at any depth or height .
[img= width=600 height=450]http://www.dialedinperformance.com/images/pics/jig.jpg[/img]
since i will use it for the test arm and the left and right arms ,i needed to yet again retool and locate the centre and mark it out so both arms will be the same .
[img= width=450 height=600]http://www.dialedinperformance.com/images/pics/jig1.jpg[/img]
tossed a stock arm to give you a ruff idea .you can see i have dropped the pivot down 1" also this was my first mistake trying to make a jig to fit a stock arm and modifying it .it just did not allow the same arms to be made for left and right sides .
[img= width=600 height=450]http://www.dialedinperformance.com/images/pics/jigstkarm.jpg[/img]
here is the finall version of the jig .still allows adjustability for testing but allows the arms to be made for left and right sides.
i did used the stk arm to give the the bearing position which was marked on the green tape .with the new bearing housing shimmed away with a 1/4" shim from the angle iron it locates the bearing housing dead centre , nice .
then its just a matter of using shim blocks to raise it up and down for depth and clamping in place for welding .
the test arm has been cut up and welded as it has been in and out a quite a few times while trying different lengths ,pivot points and depths .as well as the bracket has been move inboard of the spring plate
[img= width=600 height=450]http://www.dialedinperformance.com/images/pics/jigtestarm1.jpg[/img]
the poor test arm after taking a beating ,the bearing slides in and out nicely on the angle iron support to allow for depth testing .this has been a big help as the tires are tight up there .
after bolting the arm on for the last time i realised yet another overlooked item which is making sure the bearing housing is actually square to the torsion tube .i decided to use another piece of angle iron bolted to the spring plate retainer .this will now give me something to measure against to make sure i have a 90 deg angle from the bearing housing to the torsion tube.
[img= width=600 height=450]http://www.dialedinperformance.com/images/pics/straightedge1.jpg[/img]
then slide the bearing housing in with a 1/4 " plate wedged between the end plate and the bearing housing , yep its square , thank god
[img= width=600 height=450]http://www.dialedinperformance.com/images/pics/bearingalign1.jpg[/img]
i will most likely add a touch of inner toe when i make the final arms but the inner pivot will allow for that adjustment .
new stock ride height at 0 deg
[img= width=600 height=450]http://www.dialedinperformance.com/images/pics/rideheight.jpg[/img]
and when fully raised i have 2 deg neg camber and a hair over 2.5" travel
[img= width=600 height=450]http://www.dialedinperformance.com/images/pics/rideheightup.jpg[/img]
i'm very pleased it actual works and better yet fits in there .and with only a 2 deg change in camber .
finally get to start on the final rear arms ,just got to figure out the rear brakes