Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Guys -- I think the way that Mike did his swing arms is easier in the long run than trying to modify/use VW IRS swing arms -- -- I played with stock Fiat swing arms, Stock VW IRS arms, then built my own. When you build your own you can choose the exact location (Height/width) and it just works out better IMO. And on a car, having the exact alignment of CV's/axles is highly over rated -- -- Buzz has his arms on his ProMod buggy 2-3 inches longer and he hasn't had any problems with his 930 CV's and on my Fiat, I was 1.5-2" over ideal length, had only 12" long axles and never had a problem with my Bus CV's and I drove the Fiat a lot around town and on the Freeway

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
JIm -- I believe that the way you set that up you are correct that you are square with the torsion bar -- maybe one final check would be to do x-measurements up to the front of the car or to the torsion and make sure that you are square that way. But I think you will be OK even if your not square as a lot of race/street cars run some stagger in the wheel base from side to side (I did on the Fiat). As long as you feel that you have the ability to make adjustments in the rear of the car to correct issues as they arise, your there.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
That was the way my arms were set up -- but I wish that I had squared the ends -- the reason for that is I would of widened the brackets and put in shims on both sides -- that way, if necessary, I would of been able to move the arms in and out a little -- just a little more adjustability

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
I got my 12" long axles for the Fiat through Carcraft in Riverside CA and they worked well and they weren't anywhere near $600

Jim -- keep that swing arm you built -- you only need to change the end where it hiem is attached === I'll draw something up for you -- this is done all the time and works in this situation

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
shag55 said:
With the heim at a 90* insted of 60* won't you get play going in and out from the bearing housing since there is some movement in the heims?
If you have play in your Heim joints -- your better get new ones

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
The difference in the amount of flex between the two designs will be very very little -- I used only 2 bars (see reply #15) and there was very little flex and I did some SOLO stuff with the Fiat. You can over design this stuff very quickly. Go down to the local off road shop and look at the arms they use to control the rear ends in 4000# trucks, V8's and launching them 10' in the air, we don't need anything close to that. KISS baby, KISS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.