Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 091 tranny in the classifieds and was wondering if I could buy longer shift rods for a 65 bus?
Anyone got any ideas?

Search didn't turn up anything but it was a great 2 hr diversion!
LMBO!

Don

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
all of the rods going from shifter to nosecone are custom length, depends on where we mount the shifter, you could find some tubing that goes over the rods now and just extend them.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking that would be a lot of flex in a bus. Maybe I'll
build some kind of intermediate setup...or something with delrin bushes.

Thanks!

Don

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, the shifter WILL be moved to sitting right beside me with no reaching!
:)

I know that doesn't shorten the rods THAT much, but every little helps reduce flex!

Don

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Are you building a drag only bus, Don?

I'm guessing the rod length (for a three-rod shifter set up in a bus) will need to be at least another 24" longer, but you'll have to mount the shifter and trans first, then take measurements. The thing with the rods is they are push-pull. In tension, the longer rod won't be an issue. In compression, during the 2-3 shift, is where I see a problem. Like you said, maybe an intermediate bush to keep the rod from bowing under compression would work. Another idea is to use a larger diameter tube in the center center section, for added column stiffness where you'll need it most, in the center of the span.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm doing the same thing to my single cab right now. I'm going to a metal supply place and buy longer rods and thread them myself. I'm also planning to make some kind of carrier in the middle to help with the flex of the longer rods.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The JCL version comes with rods that are 3 chromoly pieces,2 pieces slide inside the middle larger tube,when you find the length you need you weld them up,there is no reason you couldnt do the same for the MSE shifter

WS

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took a slightly different approach since i´m using a Porsche 915 gearbox.But these Hargett-shifters are of superb quality,and i can not see why it couldn´t be used in other applications too.Sorry for the poor quality of the pic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Silly question but would it not have been easier to run cable shifts reather than rods with the mse shifter???

Any more info on your Hargett shifter please?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Hargett is a piece of art that works like made in Germany.. :happy:Just Google Hargett shifters for more info.

Any more info on your Hargett shifter please?
[/quote]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts