Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have one of our customers doing a back to back dyno run on one of their Time Attack cars this week. If it tests good, they will leave it on the car and try to beat on it at a race

·
Registered
510 Posts
Can you just remove the old wheel and bolt on the new billet one?
I.e no full assembly balancing required?

Thanks,
Walter

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wheels are balanced separately at the time of production. The compressor wheel is them put on the turbine wheel and balanced as a rotating assembly. When things spin 80-120K, you don't take chances.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My guess will be the billet one is heavier. Although it's heavier, it won't flex under high RPM and Boost. Prob will make a small differance. But, everything helps. If for some reason it doesn't make more power.... than I'm sure they can make differant combos with blade pitch, inducer/exducer/trim sizes and really tweak it in, so it will make more power in the end.
CobraJet said:
Which one is heavier?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Makes sense, more raw material in the standard wheel. I have a customer overseas I'd like to set up with a billet wheel turbo. I might need a quote soon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Very cool! I like those sort of art creations from left over car parts a lot!
Just build a coffe table out of a VW W8 enginecase myself.

·
Registered
510 Posts
CobraJet said:
You have to post pics of that table .....
Off-topic but if the OP don't mind, here it is (still need a few things sorted (size of glass, carpet under it etc)
[img= width=800 height=532]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/W8tafel001.jpg[/img]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts