Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

Newbie from Boise Idaho

405 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  wbbbbbbb
I'm Kevin, been working on cars most my life. I've had this 73 standard for about 15 years, it has over 300,000 miles on it.

I paid $300 for it, with bad main and connecting rod bearings. Rebuilt the engine for less than $500 and went with the 1641 piston/cylinders. The case was lineboared but there was a gap in the case when torqued down. It always suffered oil pressure issues.

I decided to rebuild again but with a good case, which I got from a local guy for $200. Now the oil pressure is great and there are 0 leaks.

I installed an Ebersparcher gas heater and I love it. I also put on disc brakes and swapped out the seats for the Ricaros that my 88 GLI had.

It's an ongoing project but I'm always looking to others for inspiration and guidance.

Thanks for having me.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A few more photos of the Gas heater, disc brakes and Recaro Trophy seats.

Attachments

See less See more
Very excellent work. I hope I don't sound too ignorant, but what are the two black things sitting before the engine? I like the engine cover, but doesn't that interfere with cooling?
Thank you for your time.
Le
If you talking about these, they are
Very excellent work. I hope I don't sound too ignorant, but what are the two black things sitting before the engine? I like the engine cover, but doesn't that interfere with cooling?
Thank you for your time.
Le
If you are talking about these, the are the fresh air for the heaters.
Here’s link to more fan shroud knowledge.
Automotive lighting Camera lens Headlamp Camera accessory Rim
Font Auto part Motor vehicle Engineering Machine
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts