Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw that car at an event at Sears Point in the early 1990's. Nicely put together, went straight, and into the late rounds of racing as recall.

It would be nice to see it dragged off the farm and pressed back into service :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
lornes said:
As Steve Stanbridge of California Import Parts found out, friends with tools, beer and a weekend of silliness, this is what you get: "Weird Science"!

Yes guys and gals, that is exactly how it happened and the rest is history. This car was always a fan favorite, no matter where it went. I had the opportunity to own and race it for several years. It was then sold back to the staff at CIP and was recently sold again. It now resides on a farm in the country. Tried to contact the new owner to purchase it back, but could not for reasons that will go untold.

On one of it's last outings at the Seattle Northwest Bug-In in 1996, with long time VW racer Jim Sibley behind the wheel, it won the "Best Appearing Race Car" award! Have many good memories and stories with this car.

Remember seeing that car at the 1989 Medford Bug-In here in Oregon, the very first VW event I ever attended. I seem to remember somebody named Chris driving it at that time, as per the VW Trends feature article.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That would have been Chris Klump from Vancouver BC, I hope I spelled his name right. I got it from him in '94. He was the second owner and got it from Steve when he decided to go Pro Stock racing with his Frameworks chassis car.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
speedwell said:
look like terry shepard chop top
That Going Bananas car belonged to Dan McGrath. Dyno Don held it for a short time and last heard it went to Japan.

R.I.P. Dan. Dan was known to be Kris Klingaman's Crew Chief for many seasons when Kris was active and running VW events and NHRA.

AO

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
The drive through where you had to shout" Listen up Clowny"... Jack in drag and the Lee Eliminators Pinto.... Oh, and the High Roller 1.69 Shrimp Dinner was still on the menu.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
My Wife worked at the JIB at Mill and E Street in San Bernardino in the mid '70's -- She has lots of stories from that time -- aside from all the cruisers from E street, It was across the street from the Orange Show grounds and the Swing Auditorium -- which during this time was one of the big concert venues in SoCal -- The Bands seemed to make it part of the experence to go through the drive thru after the concert and buy lots of food for everyone that was hanging around after the concert -- -- she said the girls weren't allowed to run the grill or wear the Jack suit because the head was too heavy -- LOL

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
According to my co-worker, he seen the Snow Tiger Fiat do a barrel roll landing on it's roof when punching it into 2nd or 3rd gear at Hawaii Raceway Park on a windy day. According to my co-worker he has never seen that thing run again, but through race track gossip the car was repaired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
snowTiger

that fiat is in hawaii under the name of snowtiger
:D I worked on all the Snowtiger cars with Damon Wilcox. Damon Never flipped this fiat but the previous owners did.. When we got it we took out the spool and stretched the frame a good foot. Those were GOOD TIMES pitcrewing for Damon..Yes he Still has the car someday if Oahu ever gets a Track??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Old vw pics

Hello Brian, yep it's me again years later, I just retired with 30 plus years from Boeing aircraft as a machinist and can't find any more excuses to not complete the Mad Pineapple II project, so I've been hot and heavy getting it done, anyway nice touching base with you again after so much time, sincerely Art - The Mad Pineapple

201 - 220 of 221 Posts