Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang

Just a quick note on Denver. Raced at the Nu Vintage Bug In at Bandimere Speedway in Denver this past weekend. Had a great time. I know you are surprised. Snoopy did not break an axle! The car ran low qualifier at a 10.20 @ 150 mph. Not the typical et but why hurt the car. Turns out that I can get some clutch slip...I bit to much as the car killed the disk...thats a good thing now.
The event had four classes. Quick 8 with a 11.49 et cap, pro elliminator, sportsman and water. Since only four cars made the 11.49 and faster bump, the class had options. Bandimere race staff asked me what I wanted to do race for less money with four cars, add the next fastest four or drop the class and combine with P/E. I got the 200.00 bounty for low qualifier and then said make a show of it...add the classes together for more money. The ghia then got parked as a safety issue. Really did not want to chase a 14 second car.
Old Betsey the buggy was in the trailer. Teched in and one time run latter we were in. First round dragged the sump...Dean from Hot Vs shot the car on a four to five foot wheeli. Now that was fun. Still not going to start acting like Joel Mohr ;D. Five rounds latter and a 12.21 on a 12.20 dial, Betsey was in the winner circle. 1000.00 plus dollar and a bitchen 50th year champion trophy from Bandimere Speedway. GOOD OL BETSEY.
Missed all my racing buddies from the west coast but still had a blast at my 25th Bug In in Denver.
Snoopy is going out to quick 16 race here locally in a few weeks. I am going to figure this car out. PS the car went straight in Denver.....must be the track prep ::).

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Eric
Glad to hear things went good with axels. I was really starting to wonder if it was ever going to get worked out.

The Bandimere race staff and race track in general, seem like they have it all together. Good things man.

So what happened on the final-you ran a 12.21 on a 12.20 dial in. Man your slippin. No really, great job. I thought that buggy was just good for slalom racing at BOR. LOL

Can't wait to see Snoopy and crew in 4 weeks at BOR. Keep us updated.

Rich

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Awesome to hear the ghia is going good again! That axel deal is a bummer to hear about for sure. Sounds like you are getting a handle on it though. Congrats on the win and having fun! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
The guy parks the Ghia and wins the event with his "alternate" car. Nice. ;)

Awesome story, Eric! Congrats! I hope you change your mind about Bug-O, its gonna seem weird without you there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a great day of racing, I get to the semi finals sitting in the staging lanes and Madson pulls up next to me. I am thinking to myself why in the hell me? You are cool as can be and all Erik, but I don't want to run against you. I ended up running that p.o.s turbo mk2 golf and getting my ass smoked anyway.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
eric madson said:
Hello gang

Just a quick note on Denver. Raced at the Nu Vintage Bug In at Bandimere Speedway in Denver this past weekend. Had a great time. I know you are surprised. Snoopy did not break an axle! The car ran low qualifier at a 10.20 @ 150 mph. Not the typical et but why hurt the car. Turns out that I can get some clutch slip...I bit to much as the car killed the disk...thats a good thing now.
The event had four classes. Quick 8 with a 11.49 et cap, pro elliminator, sportsman and water. Since only four cars made the 11.49 and faster bump, the class had options. Bandimere race staff asked me what I wanted to do race for less money with four cars, add the next fastest four or drop the class and combine with P/E. I got the 200.00 bounty for low qualifier and then said make a show of it...add the classes together for more money. The ghia then got parked as a safety issue. Really did not want to chase a 14 second car.
Old Betsey the buggy was in the trailer. Teched in and one time run latter we were in. First round dragged the sump...Dean from Hot Vs shot the car on a four to five foot wheeli. Now that was fun. Still not going to start acting like Joel Mohr ;D. Five rounds latter and a 12.21 on a 12.20 dial, Betsey was in the winner circle. 1000.00 plus dollar and a bitchen 50th year champion trophy from Bandimere Speedway. GOOD OL BETSEY.
Missed all my racing buddies from the west coast but still had a blast at my 25th Bug In in Denver.
Snoopy is going out to quick 16 race here locally in a few weeks. I am going to figure this car out. PS the car went straight in Denver.....must be the track prep ::).
NICE!

Congrats Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts