Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an on going battle trying to stop oil spraying from the backside of the crank pulley. I have battled this for long enough and I'm about to disassemble my engine and replace the case. The engine has less than 8,000 miles on it. I have installed new rings, ensured the pulley has the correct reverse threads and the breather system should be able to handle it's purpose.
The breather system is -8 rigid line and plumbed to a Berg breather. The lines run from the 1/2 valve cover to one port on the Berg breather and the other port on the breather gets crank pressure from the fuel pump block off. one port (the very top one) is vented to atmosphere.
The cylinders have been honed and new rings installed and properly seated. TWICE...
I was running the heavy Berg pulley and I recently replaced it with a lighter aluminum pulley with a steel center hub.
I'm at a loss as to why I'm still having this problem and am frustrated as I HATE oil leaks. Can anyone provide any insight to a solution to this problem?
The engine is a 2276: 9.6:1 CR, Web 86b, deep sump and IDAs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Assuming that the oil deflector is installed behind the pulley than you need to check the internal venting passages inside the case that one there actually open and two you can open them up to vent the case pressure better. I have seen them not even open from the casting and very poorly machined cases . There is one thats vents the cam gear section , hopes that helps but the case needs split to check

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Like you I hate an oil leak. I used a seal and pulley like this from CB Performance, 1956 Blue Anodized 6" Billet Sand Seal Crankshaft Pulley No machine work is required to install it and it puts a seal in the case to stop the leak. I run a deep sump and set my oil level about a quart lower than full on the dipstick to prevent the crankshaft from slinging oil and causing extra pressure . If you haven't done so already I would do a " leak down " test on the engine to determine if there is an internal seal problem or not. If there is it will give you an idea of where the leak is happening.I hope this helps, Mike McCarthy

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Is this a used case you started with? Are you sure it is not cut for a sand seal and you are not using one? I agree that you should start with a leak down test prior to tearing it down again. Rings gapped or installed correctly?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I started with a brand new case, one of those POTL ones from N. Lime Street. I also run my engine a little low on oil because of the deep sump. I will have to do a leak down check, it'll be peace of mind to check the new rings I just installed. Could the #4 bearing be getting too much oil? Thanks again and if anything else comes to mind let me know.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Unless something has been modified I doubt it is over oiling . I make my own vent can , I install baffles inside it with a vent/filter on top . The hoses come into it on the bottom so that when I go on boost that IF I get oil pushing out the vent hoses ( AN10) it will return back to the engine and not get contaminated or lost . Mine is mounted above the transmission. I hope you find your problem and also this info may have helped. Mike McCarthy

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this problem with a BMD pulley system on my turboed type 1 so changed to a alloy pulley with push in sand seal, that helped for a while but the seals only tend to last for a short while with high revving strip motors, last month the sand seal gave up on the track so I fitted a standard OG bottom pulley and have had no more leaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts