Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just came across this picture of my buddy, Van Day's old street/race car. This was his daily driver until some idiot pulled out in front of him and smash, instant reason for a fiberglass front end. It was raced at many Bug O Rama events here in Sac Ca, but it also made some runs at the famous OCIR track at a Bug In event. I haven't seen this car run down the quarter mile in years. In fact the last time I saw this car was about 5 or so years ago when I stopped by Van's house in Santa Rosa and there it was, looking just as good as the day it last raced. Well I was very suprised to hear over the loud speaker at the last Memorial Day BOR on May 25-2008 that 1 HI DUDE was at the track and actually racing. Man it took me back 20 years when the car was a regular at the local track.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: I HI DUDE

Your photo didnt work Rich?

Here is some photos of Van's car at the last BOR May 2008 After not racing it for at least 20 years!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,854 Posts
Re: I HI DUDE

1 Hi Dude with Van Day driving around 1985 Rich Duncan standing beside the car in way.... to short shorts and an afro !LOL





Check the roof scoop Bug Formance car in background
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I HI DUDE

Ok Brian, its on. Wait till I find that pic of you standing next to the Ghia years ago. I'll bet your shorts are even shorter than mine and if I can't find that picture, I photoshop chop one up for ya.
LOL
You forgot to mention the big red Nike swoop on the shoes. That kind of stuff will get you beat up now.
Man I can't even deny that was me. Damn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Re: I HI DUDE

Brian Watts said:
1 Hi Dude with Van Day driving around 1985 Rich Duncan standing beside the car in way.... to short shorts and an afro !LOL





Check the roof scoop Bug Formance car in background
Love this pic. Pops sporting short shorts. LOL.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
buggdude67 said:

Just came across this picture of my buddy, Van Day's old street/race car. This was his daily driver until some idiot pulled out in front of him and smash, instant reason for a fiberglass front end. It was raced at many Bug O Rama events here in Sac Ca, but it also made some runs at the famous OCIR track at a Bug In event. I haven't seen this car run down the quarter mile in years. In fact the last time I saw this car was about 5 or so years ago when I stopped by Van's house in Santa Rosa and there it was, looking just as good as the day it last raced. Well I was very suprised to hear over the loud speaker at the last Memorial Day BOR on May 25-2008 that 1 HI DUDE was at the track and actually racing. Man it took me back 20 years when the car was a regular at the local track.
This is a picture of Van and a friend of his at Bug O Rama ? before it was wrecked and made into a racecar. Hard to believe that is the same car, but it is.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
buggdude67 said:
buggdude67 said:

Just came across this picture of my buddy, Van Day's old street/race car. This was his daily driver until some idiot pulled out in front of him and smash, instant reason for a fiberglass front end. It was raced at many Bug O Rama events here in Sac Ca, but it also made some runs at the famous OCIR track at a Bug In event. I haven't seen this car run down the quarter mile in years. In fact the last time I saw this car was about 5 or so years ago when I stopped by Van's house in Santa Rosa and there it was, looking just as good as the day it last raced. Well I was very suprised to hear over the loud speaker at the last Memorial Day BOR on May 25-2008 that 1 HI DUDE was at the track and actually racing. Man it took me back 20 years when the car was a regular at the local track.
This is a picture of Van and a friend of his at Bug O Rama ? before it was wrecked and made into a racecar. Hard to believe that is the same car, but it is.

Here is a picture of the same car just days after the wreck.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
It sure was a shame that the magazines wouldn't do a spread on Vans car.
They just said because he really was One High Dude and they were afraid
of the influence it might be.
But Vans car was definitely the best looking race car back in the day.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top