Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out today that my friend Wayne Williams of Irving Texas passed away December 8th 2013. He had been battling cancer for most of this year.
He was 59 years old. Wayne was a good friend in the years I lived in Texas. Wayne, David Garland and I formed a loose racing team called "Riff Raff Racin'".
We shared a rented shop and built some interesting machines back in the 80's in Irving Texas. We built dirt track roundy rounders, dune buggies and Baja bugs
as well as worked on any aircooled VW that someone needed help with. We would slap a Baja bug together on a Saturday afternoon and go run the hell out of it
all night at the Rock Island quarries. Wayne was very instrumental in building my first dedicated drag car. A full tube chassis Ghia built in the rented shop with a dirt floor.
Wayne guided me designing and bending the chassis pipe, welding, hanging the body and sheet metal. The lessons I learned in that little dirt floor shop stay with me
to this day. Wayne and I would joke about hosting a TV show called "Don't Do This With Doug and Wayne". Wayne was an avid offroader and was a real machine behind the wheel of ANYTHING in the dirt. I would rather ride with him than drive myself! We pulled more than one engine out in the woods to fix a clutch. Rebuilt carbs by the light of a campfire,
rewired bugs and buggies in the woods just to get back to riding the rest of the night. Riff Raff Racin' grew into a small group of underfunded racers thru the 90's after I moved to Ohio. David Garland still races dirt oval tracks in an aircooled bug. Wayne personified the Riff Raff spirit by teaching us to do more with less. To that we owe him a debt of
gratitude. Thank you my friend for everthing! Godspeed!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Great Tribute and Testament RIP

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
Although most of us never met Wayne, your tribute to the man probably makes some of us feel we knew him too, just a bit. Thank you. God Bless.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Doug, sorry to hear about your buddy. I've recently had the opportunity to come across some car clubs/enthusiasts other than just VW's. When you have a hobbiest that started playing with cars when they were a teenager, and now these cars are 40, 50, 60, and even 70 years old, there are sometimes more club members leaving than joining. Some day you'll be able to wrench on VW's with him again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts