Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
TroyG said:
Why go second best when you can buy the best........
MSD
Saw allot of people having issues with MSD stuff this weekend. Not sure "why" just seemed to be noticing allot of complaining about them.

Just thought I would share

·
Registered
87 Posts
MSD is nice but if you have an MDS distributor and your MSD box goes out can you just run the MDS distributor?

I like Pertronix.
And Yes I have an MSD box too.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I had a Compufire in my.....eh hem.....009, and I liked it. On that note, I now run an 019 with points, and i don't notice any difference other than the advance curve. I say if you have one run it.........if not, stick to points. 8)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I know some others may have had problems with Ignitors, but I have one in my drag car for 10 years. The first one I fried by crossing the wires :what: but the second one has been going strong ever since. I use 7mm Taylor wires, Bosch Blue Coil, 009 and a MSD 7AL. The car sees 7500 rpm during burnouts and at the top end. Zero problems.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
MSD is definitely the way to go if you have the money, but the pertronix drop in module worked fine on my old 1641 that seen 7k on a regular basis.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have run the same pertronix for nearly 3 years on 2 different motors with no problems what so ever.
I have not run MSD on a vw motor yet.
But
I am planing on running a mallory box with my 009 soon.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I've been running a 1844 Pertronix in an Bosch 010 with a modified rotor in conjunction with a MSD 6AL and Blaster 2 coil for 2 years in my 6 days a week daily driver 67 bug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an all pertronix ignition system on my 2074 and it works very well (billet dist, coil, second strike ignition box), the caractéristics of the second strike box are better than mallory & msd ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts