Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts
eric madson said:
What can I say other then most manufactors DO NOT think a VW can produce 800 HP! When approaching a quality manufactor...sample sent...waiting muliple weeks....axles were built and recieved. We get, try and break the best they say they can make. Not even close to a sway a way set. Options are in the air and we will see what comes out. For now, its sway a way as they last at least three races...in most cases. Eric C is still running sway a way as well for those in interest. Slipping the car out is the key to avoiding breakage...we are tring.
How about an anti-shocker?

eric madson said:
What can I say other then most manufactors DO NOT think a VW can produce 800 HP! When approaching a quality manufactor...sample sent...waiting muliple weeks....axles were built and recieved. We get, try and break the best they say they can make. Not even close to a sway a way set. Options are in the air and we will see what comes out. For now, its sway a way as they last at least three races...in most cases. Eric C is still running sway a way as well for those in interest. Slipping the car out is the key to avoiding breakage...we are tring.
Three races! OMG! Do you guys paint a line on them to watch them for twisting?

Brian Watts said:
eric madson said:
How about an anti-shocker?
I think Eric C is using a hydraulic valve and solenoid setup like I am building for mine, at least that is what he had last time I took a picture inside his car. You can adjust the slip by turning a knob then it is off once you grab second gear or you could add a second valve and soleniod and slip second too.

We slow down the clutch action useing a hydraulic bypass valve through an adjustable knob type check valve to work in first gear only.
The problem we are experiencing is that the clutch pack is is not made to slip so there is excessive wear to the clutches and at $250. for new clutches each race it gets spendy.
We are currently working on a clutch setup that will allow slipage and progressively more holding power down track we should be experamenting with this next year Stay Tuned!.
Jerry

J. Matsko said:
We slow down the clutch action useing a hydraulic bypass valve through an adjustable knob type check valve to work in first gear only.
The problem we are experiencing is that the clutch pack is is not made to slip so there is excessive wear to the clutches and at $250. for new clutches each race it gets spendy.
We are currently working on a clutch setup that will allow slipage and progressively more holding power down track we should be experamenting with this next year Stay Tuned!.
Jerry
What disks are you using now?

KEP offers a "spaceage type" disk but they are not cheap and wear very fast from what ive heard. They didnt say at the time what the exact composite was. I believe the Kelleys were running them with good success but at a high replace rate.....

Try to remember one thing......... You CANT not just put a
V-8 part on a vw and expect it to work. I hear what you are saying about disk etc but theres a lot of R&D going on and it Id bet it dont apply to a vw.

The disk slipping in the post above has been around a LONG time. But you are talking about multiple disks and a progressive or staged psi. This is what I am assuming Jerry is lookin into. I called some very well known clutch companys a few years ago about doin a custom deal for my car but man its spendy and you have ONE UNIT. What about parts breakage wear etc.

Get out the checkbook for sure. Have more in your clutch program than your engine program....

Newk said:
V-8 part on a vw and expect it to work. I hear what you are saying about disk etc but theres a lot of R&D going on and it Id bet it dont apply to a vw.

The disk slipping in the post above has been around a LONG time. But you are talking about multiple disks and a progressive or staged psi. This is what I am assuming Jerry is lookin into. I called some very well known clutch companys a few years ago about doin a custom deal for my car but man its spendy and you have ONE UNIT. What about parts breakage wear etc.

Get out the checkbook for sure. Have more in your clutch program than your engine program....
Do an Internet search for (import carbon-carbon clutch), you will find the other import cars are using this technology with duel disks right now for prices from 2,000 to 2,800 for the whole package including flywheel. New disks are about 125.00 each but they don't wear that fast with under 1,000 HP so they could last a few seasons. So yes it will work and the clutch does not know what engine is spinning it.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Its not so easy little buddy!

I can tell you that I currently have four complete " non VW " applcation set ups. You can not just call and get a clutch setup for a high horse power VW. Money is not the key item here. Testing can only happen on the track. A dyno may tell you a breakaway at boost...as long as you have a data system. I, Eric C and I think Jerry are running clutch data systems. That is the only way to find the magic and then its still trial and error. Pick up the phone and tell a company you need X amount of breakaway @ X amount of boost @ X amount of weight and you will most likely get the answer " I think this will work but I can not guarantee its function ". Trial and error, trial and error. Most of the time error and when someone figures it out....its a deep secret. Even Lummus and Saccette are trying to develop a system....think about all that brain power and expertice. ;)

If it was easy ....everyone would do it.

TurboNOS56VW said:
Newk said:

Do an Internet search for (import carbon-carbon clutch), you will find the other import cars are using this technology with duel disks right now for prices from 2,000 to 2,800 for the whole package including flywheel. New disks are about 125.00 each but they don't wear that fast with under 1,000 HP so they could last a few seasons. So yes it will work and the clutch does not know what engine is spinning it.
Ive done plenty of searching thanks...... ::)

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.