Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've never owned an air-cooled VW in my life but, well, you never know whats past the bend as they say. Just bought a clean 69 type 1 with 1600, dual port heads, dual Empi carbs, performance headers, front disc, etc. STOCK 69 cooling system and oil cooler, NOT a doghouse, 009 distributor. I want to change to a remote oil filter and cooler immediately and upgrade the distributor to something electronic with vacuum adv. What do you suggest that won't kill my wallet? Also, I'm having trouble getting the driver side valve cover to seal. I tried bending the wire and the cork gasket looks good. Anything out there that seals better? Silicone on steel for example.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
520 Posts
Welcome to the Ultimate aircooled things $$$ add up on these little cars . For cooling since you case/block is probly not been drilled and taped for full flow you can get a full flow oil pump/oil filter mount from cbperformance . For the oil cooler im running a Setrab single cooler with fan from aircooled.net . The the cooler around $280 mounting brackets $35.00 fittings (for just the oil cooler) $20.00 . You still need the oil lines and the rest of the fittings to finish it up .Also some sort of switch they make inline thermostatic switches . Im just running a toggle switch on mine and just flip it on when i need to (i run a vdo oil temp guage . For the distributor i have had no problems running a 009 Pertronix makes a kit to get rid of the points for good . For valve covers are the after market or chrome? The gasket some times will move or get sucked in some times . I put a little silicone/rtv on the valve cove side to hold the gasket from moveing .

·
Registered
825 Posts
For cooling since you case/block is probly not been drilled and taped for full flow you can get a full flow oil pump/oil filter mount from cbperformance . For the oil cooler im running a Setrab single cooler with fan from aircooled.net.
I'm sure, that since he's talking about running a cooler, bk63rag is referring to the kit where the oil pump cover is separate from the remote filter mount. Don't make the mistake of buying the setup that has it all cast as one piece. You can't run a remote cooler with it, and it places your filter right next to the exhaust and in the path of hot air coming off your heads....it'll superheat your oil in no time. They may be ok for a cool running buggy or sand rail, but other than that, they're junk IMO.

I've also run a 009 with Pertronix for years with no problems, but they say the SVDA is much better....given the chance, I'd swap my 009 for one. Just make sure you have a place to pull the vacuum from.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
You are not far from Bugformance in Sacramento, also go check out Bugorama this coming up Sunday. The electronic distributor and oil filter/cooler tips are the best for reliability, that and safety wire all of your fuel hoses so the pressed in fuel outlet tubes on the carb and fuel pump don't pop out and cause a fire.

And buy yourself at least a 2 1/2 pound fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
113 Posts
cb has a great more tunable dist package. I run the 09 but recurve them so they work.Ive instaled the cb dist into friends car that had the 010 high $$$ dist that was junk.the cb was awesome,the owner ordered another one or possiably 2 more for his other vw powered cars/bus. he is shickeled titless with them. Ill probably go with one on my new 2388 when it's time.

·
Registered
996 Posts
cb has a great more tunable dist package. I run the 09 but recurve them so they work.Ive instaled the cb dist into friends car that had the 010 high $$$ dist that was junk.the cb was awesome,the owner ordered another one or possiably 2 more for his other vw powered cars/bus. he is shickeled titless with them. Ill probably go with one on my new 2388 when it's time.

I'm running two of them now. Installing a third soon. They are awesome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately, I'm going in a completely different direction for the holiday weekend. I will be in Sac mid June though. I did find the source of an annoying oil leak tonight. Banged up pushrod tube had a pinhole leak in it. Looking into those spring loaded replacement tubes...

Is this type of oil cooling system effective? I've confirmed my case is compatible: Bugpack Bolt-On Cooler Fan Kit w/Filter, 3084-10 - Aircooled.Net Volkswagen Parts

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'd get one of these: 1798 Maxi Pump 3 (to 70) and get the rest of the stuff off theSamba....price it out and see what makes sense. Just make sure you get the right pump for your cam (flat/dished....one's early, and one's later (after '70), can't remember which off the top of my head).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts