Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great news about the NCVWDRA going back to Quaker City this season! I've been in contact with Ken Sheiff, who is the track manager at Quaker City,
about the NCVWDRA returning to QCMP on a regular basis in 2014 and beyond. The track is very interested in having the NCVWDRA race at their facility.
There are more improvements ongoing at the track and they want more race cars racing there. We will be looking at being an added class on Saturday night
once a month. The track is also looking into heads up index racing on Sundays in 2014. This would make for "more bang for the buck" race weekend for any
racer who wants to stay over and run an index on Sunday. I will be attending a meeting at the track Dec 7 to try to finalize the return of our group to Quaker.
I'm going to need input as to any 2014 VW events already scheduled so we can schedule around them at Quaker City.
It took a while, but I think we finally have a home again! Positive thoughts........

:th_DragRacer:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Doug:
Does this mean NCVWDRA races will only be at Quaker City?

2014 US131 Bug Run, July 20 and tentatively Sept. 28. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
THUMBS UP SMALL THUMBS UP SMALL THUMBS UP SMALL

Very nice Doug You can count us in....

Wayne

Bren We will be there to.. you worked to hard for the new dates..

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VW events already scheduled for our region in 2014 include:
June 1 - Sunday - Larry's Offroad Center Nationals - Xenia. Ohio
July 12-12 Sat/Sun - Jim's Custom VW's Buckeye Jubilee - Columbiana, Ohio
July 20 - Sunday - US131 Bugrun - Martin, Michigan
Sept 7 - Sunday - K&L Motorsports Pittsburgh Classic - New Alexandria, PA
Sept 28 - Sunday - US131 Fall Bugrun - Martin, Michigan

We will be looking to add some race dates in:
May - ??
June - Saturdays - 14th, 21st or 28th
July- ??
August - Saturdays - 9th, 16th or 23rd
September seems kinda full already
October - ??

Post up your suggestions. We need to keep the races a couple weeks apart for those who travel
to be part of our races.

Also, do we want to use any bigger VW events for our points races or do we want to just race those
for the payout?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm kind of up in the air right now. I'm still not able to easily travel to events more than 150 miles, so like I mentioned earlier in the year, if events like Larry's, and The Bugrun are going to be main points events, I'm out for next year.

The second year we raced at Quaker, I made 133 passes at the track, and went to a few final rounds in the Friday Night Street Class. With the owner change this class was eliminated, and another negative issue was that you now HAD to go through the waterbox making it miserable for anyone with a treaded street tire. Quaker added a Street Car Night this year, but after beating a drum with all the Street Car Guys for two years previous, you could say it was too little, too late. Of my 80+ passes this year, 15 or so were at PRP, and the rest were at 42, so you could say I'm kind of over Quaker. I appreciate all that you guys are doing for the NCVWDRA, and it would simplify a lot of things to have most of the events at one track, but I'm still for running at other tracks along with Quaker. If 2014 is going to have 3-4 points races at Quaker, I probably won't have the time or money to do the changes to my car I feel would be necessary to make it competitive having to go through the waterbox, so again, I'll probably be out.

I'm still up for making an event at Magnolia, and I would like to run at 42 as well. Again there will be the challenge of dealing with the new owner, and for all I know, talk of new staging lane configurations at 42 with a pull through waterbox could have everyone having to go through the water at 42.

I'd go for two points races at Quaker, two points races at 42, and one points race at Magnolia. Any other events would be for payout only.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hear you Geoff. For me, Dragway 42 is just over 300 miles away. Quaker is just under 400 miles away. That translates into Dragway 42 being doable with one nights stay in a motel, but the extra 100 miles makes Quaker a 2 night event and a day's vacation time for Beth. I really enjoy racing with the NCVWDRA, but if all the events are at Quaker, it just doesn't make sense for me. I hope there will be at least one event at 42 that I can run.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My personal opinion is to not have the bigger VW events as part of our points series. Let those promoters promote
their own events and let the NCVWDRA members attend or not based on what they are capable of. In the past, some
promoters have relied too heavily on our group to make or break their events.
Let's keep the NCVWDRA at Dragway 42, Magnolia and Quaker City.
I agree with muffinwoman about the stray dog with no home feeling.

Just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to the meeting at Quaker City to ask for 4 race dates.
June 14th - Saturday
July 5th - Saturday
August 9th or 16th Satuday
September 6th Satuday (the day before the Pittsburgh Classic just like we used to do)

If anyone has had contact with any other tracks about the NCVWDRA racing there in 2014, please let me know
before the meeting I have at Quaker December 7.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I meet this Saturday with Norm and AJ Fox along with track manager Ken Shief at Quaker City Motorsports Park.
My phone conversations indicate we will be looking at a $10 gate fee in addition to our normal entry fee of $40.00
to race there for 2014. We are looking for additional sponsors to sweeten the payouts for the 2014 season. When
we last raced at Quaker City the payout in the NCVWDRA was more than their regular Saturday night Super Pro payout!
I will submit our requested dates and hopefully we can work something out. Quaker City is a top notch facility with improvements
ongoing! Norm wants to be able to run Top Fuel cars there so you know the surface will be awesome!
If anyone would like to attend this meeting with me please give me a call. Ken Shief will be getting back to me to let
me know what time Saturday and I will post the meeting time here. :happy:

Ken got back to me last night saying 6pm Saturday 12/7 on the second floor of the tower will be our meeting.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meeting at Quaker City Motorsports Park today has been rescheduled to Monday or Tuesday this week due to Ken Shief
injuring himself deer hunting this morning. Nothing serious but his knee is a bit sore from falling in a snow covered hole.
Ken will let me know the exact time and day tomorrow or Monday and I will pass the info along.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK! I've got some dates from Quaker City Motorsports Park for 2014!
The NCVWDRA will be there:
Saturday June 14th
Saturday August 23rd
Saturday September 6th
Saturday September 27th as rainout make up date or just run for entry fees

Eric is trying to get something scheduled for July 5th at Magnolia. If that doesn't work
perhaps we could run at Dragway 42 that date.

These dates schedule around established VW events in our region with our September 6th date
the day before the Pittsburgh Classic at PRP.

All Quaker City Motorsports Park races will be the full 1/4 mile bracket eliminator!
Fees will be: $15.00 driver at the gate. $10.00 spectator at the gate. $40.00 race entry fee at the NCVWDRA tent.
Entry fees will be 100% payback with 10% of entries going towards the year end points fund.
$15.00 driver gate fee goes to the track. All spectator fees go to the track. Buy backs will be discussed in a future meeting.

Here it is folks! 2014 is upon us and we now can call QCMP home again!
More info later!

See you at the track!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts