Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MSVWRA will have a simple easy to follow structure for the area racers. Our hope is to always have a safe and fun event for the local venue.

Event location.
Salt Lake City Utah Friday night June 7th Operated in conjunction with existing drag racing.
Albuquerque New Mexico Saturday night May 4th Operated in conjunction with existing drag racing.
Denver Colorado Sunday day event July 28th The only all VW race, show event in rocky mountain area.
Grand Junction Colorado Saturday night August 24th Operated in conjunction with existing drag racing.

Classes Bracket
VW Quick
Race prepared cars and fast street cars.
E.T. Zero to 12.99 Seconds ( Denver by track decision )
VW Sport
Street cars , sportsman drag cars, buggies and VW water cooled
E.T. 13.00 seconds and slower ( Denver by track decision )
* VW consolation
As allowed by location venue. First round losers in both classes combo race. Buy back event with separate purse based on entries.

Event Purse Money.
Local sponsorship at each location will provide purse money. Grand Junction, Salt Lake and Albuquerque would need to supply purse money at their event. Denver is a stand alone event which the MSVWRA will piggy back upon for their structure. Points for those who are enrolled will be gathered at that event.

Structure used in Grand Junction
A total of $1700.00 is set up for the event. The events in Salt lake and Albuquerque should follow the Grand Junction Structure.

VW Quick
Winner $500.00
Runner Up $250.00
Quarter $100.00

VW Sport
Winner $250.00
Runner Up $100.00
Quarter $50.00

Low E.T. award $50.00
Top MPH award $50.00
Best Elimination Reaction time $50.00
Best Elimination package time $50.00

VW suggested race entry fee $40.00. Gate fee for all enthusiasts, crew and potential driver will be at the discretion of the local event track.

General points enrollment
All interested racers who wish to race for a regional title will need to enroll for $50.00. This fund will go directly to the racer award fund at the session end. You can race and have all association benefit at each location without enrollment.

MSVWRA Points System
Members enrolled will gain points toward a title through the following applications.
Event location entry 10 pts
Event bonus ( based on total VW race entries ) example 15 VW cars 15 pts
example 27 VW cars 27 pts
Round win 12 pts
Event win 12 pts
Best reaction during eliminations 5 pts
Best elimination package..reaction and closet to dial in 5 pts

Points tie structure
#1 events attended
#2 events won
#3 event rounds
#4 event best awards

MSVWRA event organizers
Salt Lake City UT.
Lamb family / Eric
Albuquerque N.M
David / Ernie
Denver Co.
Eddie / Ryan
Grand Junction CO.
Darin / Eric

MSVWRA Outside invitations and special appearances.

If at all possible it would be great to invite VW special draws to each event. A VW powered Dragster, a VW prostock group, A VW promod group or a fastest VW street car shoot out. Any fun VW promotion...ETC.

All VW race participants would need to follow all suggested local track safety enforcement and tech. All VW cars should arrive prepared for tech inspection. All participants should be encouraged to review track Web sites for local event information. All safety and tech issues will be adopted and followed per local event tech direction. The MSVWRA will not interfere with any local tech ruling. Subjective discussions will be expected by local MSVWRA contacts prior to the event. All information will be directed to Ultimate Aircooled prior to each local event.

MSVWRA weekend expectations.
We have all travelled to events only to return home fast. This group wants to foster the local VW heritage at each venue. We encourage the support of all local VW groups. Invite the local VW participants via racing or other means such as pit side welcomes or involvement with local VW gatherings.

Examples used in Grand Junction to support VW Mania and its racers.
Local host hotel with racer discounts.
Local BBQ to support the racers and fans.
Local contacts for emergency needs.
Event specials such as shirts and give aways.
Club sponsored racer breakfest.
Camping possibilities at the race facility.
VW club and VW business support.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rules and cars for 2013.

I have been notified about a question regarding participation in the MSVWRA. The question that has been presented is with regard to delay/control boxes. I personally would like to see this group stay to the grass roots of racing. No electronic enhancements outside of two steps and rev limiters. I would like to see all controls by foot. The only way I feel we could allow a delay/control system would be to accommodate a driver with a physical condition. The good part about a delay/control car...they can be turned off in most cases. An automatic car ran without electronics is excepted as we can see some stock watercoolers from time to time. They will have to leave off the foot controls as well.

I would like your input.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will race anyone, usually with a disadvantage, with no expectations. I seem to always bring my knife to a gun fight if you know what I mean. I guess I would vote for applying the K.I.S.S. approach only to attract newcomers and keep it affordable as possible for anyone excited and on the fence about drag racing.

I do truly admire and stand in awe of the cutting edge approach to the sport that is available and practiced nowadays though. A lot of the fun for me is how Lady Luck shines on my day.

Keep It Simple Stupid would be my suggestion. Protect your moving parts but lets race. :boxing:

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I have no dog in this fight so to speak, but speaking from experience, I believe Delay Boxes single handedly devided, then killed, the TVWDRA bracket racing program here in Texas.

1st off, you have some GREAT bracket racers around here, and they are going to excel no matter what, but when they allowed delay boxes (and leaving on a button rather than your foot), those same great racers became even tougher to beat. Biggest problem I see with it is, as with many things, it creates a perception that you have to have it in order to win or go rounds. It may not necessarily be true, but I think many racers believed they had to spend the $$$ and put a box in their car in order to be succesful, or even just to have fun.

Now, you are always going to have the HAVES and HAVE NOTS in drag racing, but as some one else said, Keep It Simple Stupid. If you do this, you'll keep the fun in drag racing, and that is what it appears MSVWRA is all about.

And for the record: 2-steps, rev limiters, boost controllers (manual or electronic), nitrous controllers, EFI boxes, etc, are NOT bracket racing aids like a delay box. Make that clear early, and let the haters hate.

Looking forward to racing with you guys soon...

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
First off I would love it for you to have a dog in this fight, come up and race with us chad!

I would vote no for delay box type controls but I would be fine with using a button to release the clutch pedal in an attempt to have some kind of clutch management. That being said I am also for any kind of clutch someone wants to try in order to save their trans.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like what cadprovw says. I agree with you Eric. I do not want the delay box or leaving off a button. I have raced with the VW because I enjoy the "Grass Roots" or "Old School" racing. We are one of the few groups that still uses a clutch and manual transmission to race. I feel this puts more on the racer than the car. Adding controls to save the transmission and engine (two step, rev limiters) will save money and time for the racer and down time at the track due to oil downs. I even agree with clutch managment as long as the driver leaves with foot action as normal and not off a button. I don't want the electronics thing killing this association. We have all had too much fun and made too many friends to ruin it. I think it is good to get a decison early on instead of when it becomes a problem. That way anyone coming in from another state or organization can read our rules and know what is expected.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the bottom line is the following.

#1 Come race with us
#2 Two steps and rev control accepted
#3 Foot release of all cars ( driver physical ability/handicap reviewed by members as needed )
#4 Clutch management with foot release accepted
#5 No delay boxes used on race day ( a car can have this but shown to be turned off or disconnected )
#6 We do this for fun...not issues
#7 Red cups are always welcome ( after the races....LOL )

·
Registered
259 Posts
There are plenty of racing venues that allow or even encourage the use of as many electronic aids as possible. I would personally like to see the MSVWRA stay as grass roots as possible. I believe this will encourage more participation from a wide variety of people. We have already had numerous inquiries just since last weekend from people interested in getting into VW racing. They see it as a user-friendly venue that is less intimidating and affordable. With tracks all over the country closing down it's important the we all ENCOURAGE participation.

Let's keep it simple............. :twocents:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like what the MSVWRA has going now and I also think it should stay like it is.

Of course my stuff is so old school my carburator still sucks air sideways. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
RoadToad said:
I like what the MSVWRA has going now and I also think it should stay like it is.

Of course my stuff is so old school my carburator still sucks air sideways. :thumbsup:
That's funny!!! .......and yes old school, but set up properly it does work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts