Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1


Here is a link to their site http://www.jpmotorsport.se/

About the MS230

Why make a new high performance head when there already are so many to choose from?

We have tried to take the best qualities from different heads and make one head with those qualities and even improved them.

No. 1 Cooling is very important in a high output, street driven type 1 engine. The MS 230 head has nine machined fins which means 50% more cooling area than the Super Flo and Comp Eliminator heads and 15% more than the 044 head.

No 2 Port shape and size are very efficient ie. the intake port flows 240 cfm @16 mm (0,629") 25" H2O straight from the casting without porting. The exhaust port flows at the same lift and depression 180 cfm. The SF,CE style intake manifold fits straight on. Tests are made on a SF 600 flow bench.

No 3 We have made a new rocker arm shaft with five studs instead of two as the original has. This shaft will give you the possibility to run more lift, spring and rpm which is the same as more power with reliability.
The two main rocker studs are still in the same position which means that the original style rocker arms like Pauter,GB,CB etc will still fit.

The head is primarily designed for street use but can of course be used for all out drag racing too.

Boresize 94.0 mm
Valvesize 48*37,5 mm

Power numbers and price will follow.



They also have a brand new state of the art roller throttle body!





Love finding people developing new things and having new ideas!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
I inquired on the heads little over a year ago and they were not cheap. I wanna say 3500+ depending on options rockers etc.

Very solid looking though!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
Keep your $ here we purchased a new 5 axis machine and the first thing is heads on it. i will keep you all posted with pictures and pricing later.
Jerry
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J. Matsko said:
Keep your $ here we purchased a new 5 axis machine and the first thing is heads on it. i will keep you all posted with pictures and pricing later.
Jerry
Much rather go with you Jerry.

Keep me updated and lets right a story about the research and development of the heads all the way to the end!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
What am I missing? Looking at those heads, I don't see enough of a significant difference in intake design (can't see the chambers) from a C/E or a S/F to warrant $3500 a set when C/E's or S/F's can be had for about 1/3 of that. Even Autocrafts are much cheaper. Are they charging all that skrill for the flat black paint before machining? For a thicker, full-width rocker rail? Whats the deal, yo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
i see lots of cooling fins... major bonus if you have a dual use "ultimate street" engine. i can't afford them... but i'd love a set!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
BWatts said:
Love finding people developing new things and having new ideas!!!
Brian,

The injectors are a Cosworth copy. Hilborn still sells them. Hilborn had them for the Midgets back in our time (middle 70's). John Carmonne started using them when he was at A-RPM also building Midget engines and utilizing
their (then) S/F heads with the same Cosworth intake port design. The don't appear to work that well on 4 bangers, they always had a dead spot off idle (around 2500) when under a load. Appear to work better on the V8s as the air speed is greater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,854 Posts
Dave Kawell said:
The injectors are a Cosworth copy. Hilborn still sells them. Hilborn had them for the Midgets back in our time (middle 70's). John Carmonne started using them when he was at A-RPM also building Midget engines and utilizing
their (then) S/F heads with the same Cosworth intake port design. The don't appear to work that well on 4 bangers, they always had a dead spot off idle (around 2500) when under a load. Appear to work better on the V8s as the air speed is greater.
Thanks for the history of the design. Nice to know the history of that type of stuff.

I guess they spray paint and machine an old design and call it R&D ;) LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
Say a guy shelled out the $3500 for a set of these heads. What advantages is he getting over a set of $800 Super Flo's? Or a set of $900 Comp Eliminators? Gonna be tough to convince me theres a $2500 advantage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
again eric... there are enough cooling fins to run them on the street!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
The added rocker support is a good concern for a chevy type spring setup. I dont think the head is possibly THAT much better than the already proven superflow casting which is also being copied by CB. Using the heads on the street? Why would be my question? Have to be serious about what your trying to achieve and be smart with the build.

You can add nitrous or do a turbo top end with a 043 head for what it would cost just for those heads and make WAY more hp imo for a "dual" duty type car... ;)

The throttle bodys are cool but i dont know enough to guess if there would be a clear advantage over the regular type already out there. Just need a butterfly right? Lot of options here without breaking the bank.... I guess it sounds like I am tearing down what he is trying to acheive which I dont mean to. But cost is a SERIOUS factor when building any engine let alone a vw and it needs to be addressed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,854 Posts
Newk said:
I guess it sounds like I am tearing down what he is trying to acheive which I dont mean to. But cost is a SERIOUS factor when building any engine let alone a vw and it needs to be addressed.
Well Said!! ;)
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top