Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Yup, I'd say right around 1990/1991. I got my driver's lisence in 1988 and regular unleaded was about 85 cents.

Oh, is this the part where we're all supposed to blame Bush for fuel prices? A very popular bumper sticker I see all the time now is this......

"When Bush took office gas was $1.46 a gallon."

Ummmm, yeah? So? When Democrats took Congress majority, gas was $2.20 a gallon..... so whats the friggin point? Democrats always looking to blame the Republicans for something (or more accurately, looking to blame Bush), even when it makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.

edit: Greg, NONE of that was directed at you..... just a typical politically-chraged outburst courtesy of ETR. ;)

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Judging from the 2000-ish Dodge Dakota in the background I would say 2002. I did a 3000 mile road trip in 2002 and the most I paid was $1.24 in SoCal. I paid .94 cents in Mississippi.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I got my license in 1993 and gas in San Jose was 1.05 the first time I filled up. What sucks is that it was .93 the week before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remember in the early 70s when reg leaded gas was 93 octane and super was at 99. And I would grumble when it hit more than $1.00 a gal.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Was cruising E street in San Bernardino in the 60's -- Had a blown BBF in my 60 ford truck -- and not any BBF a 427 Cammer motor -- with all 27 foot of timing chain -- use to go to Victory Gernsey below Baseline on Waterman and fill up with Premium for $0.249 a gallon

The guy that started the Super Shop chain was selling speed parts to us out of his trunk of his car at this time.

a night of cruising and street racing would cost me almost $8.00 in gas which was a lot in '67.  Had girls that would pay for the evenings gas so they could ride with me crusing and racing-- lost a lot of girlfriends because someone else was willing to pay for the gas for the evening, so I'd take them and leave the girfriend home LMAO

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
You forgot to tell 'em... PREMIUM was 102 octane ...'Course Detroit was building 10.5,10.75, 11.25 c/r family sedans then....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts