Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a Roto-Master TO4B35 turbo for next to nothing and was wondering if its worth using ? The specs on it are comp a/r 60 and turbin a/r 69. There is a green tag on it with a code HT and a Garrett Part# 465210-9007. This will be my first attempt at a turbo engine . I currently have 2165 with IDAs that runs high 11s . I want to see what its like on the darkside!

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thinking outside the box , im thinking about building a 88x69 and having the cyl's powersleeved for 94's so i can run 20 to 30 psi.I was thinking about 42x37 valved heads, around 9.1 comp, and maybe a fk10 cam , its going to be strip only car. If i need to, i also have nitrous if need be.

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
I know of several people that have run those jugs with boost in that range without any trick humma humma stuff. you may be surprised the lickin' they can take.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Why not just get the AA 92thick walls? Easy peasy! Also with the right heads you can fit some 47x38 in that bore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just trying to use stuff i've already have.The case is bored for the 88s plus it has 14mm inserts , so it can' be bored any larger. also it will be my first attempt with a turbo. By the way how much HP can this turbo support?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I would run 10:1 compression and the w120 cam + 1.25 rockers on your 2165cc motor. keep boost around 18-20 psi 40 x 35.5 valved heads will support more hp than that turbo will make if the port work is top notch.

I have a similar turbo to that on my 1915 with 40x 35.5 valves w 120 cam + 1.25 rockers. My 2000 # plus street car went 11.34 @ 118 mph using 8#'s of boost. I could have easily turned the boost up around 18-20 and gone into the mid 10's.

A turbo motor that needs NOS to make power is A) not built correctly or B) Mega HP deal and needs the NOS to help spool the turbo

BTW there are several of us in AZ playing on the "dark side"

·
Registered
2 Posts
A w120 can isn’t designed for running a turbo set up and 10:1 is way to high for 15-20 boost. You must not have built a lot of turbo motors... Do you though.
MY 2 cents. Do a no mechien stroker. 74mm crank 5.325” rods with a 88mm jug puts you at over 1800cc. Have AJ sims at low budget vw make the heads around your deck height and put it at 8:1 with a LBC2 custom ground cam MADE FOR a turbo set up (cam durations and lift are different for turbo applications). Then run a waste gate and wide band set up for tuning properly. Send off a DCOE 45 with 36mm choke tubes to car craft for turbo draw through modifications etc... Or go with AJ sims 4 barrel custom Holly for a turbo set up. Use a fuel regulator with a boost reference or your never gunna get the flow right. And a MSD 6AL-2 for proper timing. Built a lot of turbo set ups. You can get by by half assing it but you taking a gamble with you motor. I HAVE a complete turbo set up headers to carb up for grabs for $1300 brand new turbo built for a draw through set up WITH a carbon seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure your turbo is carbon sealed other wise a draw through set up will push oil through the turbo into the cylinders making it impossible to get it running correctly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts