Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever wonder about sac's scales? in bakersfield my car weighed 1885, in sac it weighed 1925. which one do you believe? maybe the guys at bakersfield just did a quicky? but i cant imagine a quicky being off 40lbs can you? im just shocked the car weighs that much really.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Dean, You weighed your car at Bakersfield, "during the March Meet".

If their scales were off, I'm sure one of the Top Fuel, Funny Car, or JR. Fuel teams would have caught it. They get weighed after every run, and as you would expect "the competitive teams" run a very tight program.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was reading on FB.. so, i dont want this to be taken the wrong way or that i posted this one someone elses behalf because i did not.. im just talking about MY car.. no one else..

ill go borrow some scales and weigh it. it just kind of deflated me that it weighed that much. its almost a waste of effort to go through all that and have it turn out to be a pig. i knew it would add weight but didnt not really know how much. i would like to build a bigger motor and go faster but at this point why spend 25k on all this stuff.. i can put 25k (if i had it to begin with) toward something else. im just really disappointed to some extent.

so, i aint haten if thats the thought... if anyone wants to think that.. thats their problem.. im not here to create issues and i guess i should of thought about the "big picture" before posting. so those who think i is haten go hate somewhere else.

it takes a lot of time, money, and effort to build our cars regardless at what stage a person may be. so, i apologize if this is creating any ill fillings or some sort of controversy.. that wasn't my intent.. i was just being selfish and thinking about dean. besides that IF you really knew me.. you know i wouldn't do that..

so, to a mod.. just delete the whole thread and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
it just kind of deflated me that it weighed that much. its almost a waste of effort to go through all that and have it turn out to be a pig.
What's the fuss Dean? The difference between 1885lbs and 1925lbs shouldn't be more than a tenth and one mph off of each other. Are you upset that the car weighs in at 1925, or that the scales say it does?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the fuss Dean? The difference between 1885lbs and 1925lbs shouldn't be more than a tenth and one mph off of each other. Are you upset that the car weighs in at 1925, or that the scales say it does?

i think both really, in bakersfield we towed by the scales and weighed it. that was the first time out with the car and they had scales so i asked jeff and aaron to stop and see how much weight all the bars added to the car. it came in at 1880.. i can accept that and think thats ok ffor DEAN.. 80lbs for all that work.. im still happy. then when we towed over the scales at sac, when Mark said 1925 i was in disbelief.. the guys at bakersfield could of just done a quicky and said.. a number. whichever the way it is.. im kind of bumbed. adding 80lbs ok.. 125lbs.. man thats deflating cause its gonna suck et wise.

i went overkill on the ladderbars which added 10lbs then added about 25ft of 1 5/8" DOM tubing then about 15' of 1" dom. this is all for bars number 4, 8A/B, 9, 15, 18 (both sides), 34, 37, 40 A/D, 41 A/B, 42A, 44-50. I also changed all the tin from 062 to 032 which saved about 10lbs (that washes out the ladder bars). the DOM weighs 2.13lbs / ft and the 1" weighs (.83) 1lb.. so thats 70lbs roughly... as said 80lbs i can see but to see 125lbs.. that hurt (i was really bumbed)..

i have a lot of little things to work on too to get the car back up to speed as im way off mph from where it was.. i need to find that. if the car was 50lbs more.. i see it being no big on et.. but 100lbs more over previous race weight.. (had 30lb bar.. car weighed 1800 without the weight.... so 1830 plus 50.. 1880.. without weight 80lbs)

but anways.. im just pouting about me.. and didnt think about my actions concerning the big picture.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Dean that post on FB had nothing to do with this post. It was the ONES that SAID it!!!!!!!!

I was in NO way SHAPE or FORM knocking your statement just involving what my turds crossed at.

Kris

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
My car in sac and vegas both this weekend and last September and October weighed within 5lbs at 1725 and 1730.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Maybe It's all the snacks watching all that basketball and ufc... or maybe you got even taller ;)

yeah I'm one to talk... lol i could loose a lot more weight than my car can

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Sac scales weigh in 5# increments. I scaled friels Ghia with a set of Longacre 4 corner night before at 1725. Qual 1 had extra 8# weight, cowboy boots vs tennis shoes plus extra fuel. came up 1725#when I was 8 over. This was Sat. Sunday scales seemed dead on. I came in at 1730# with tennis shoes and two passes of burnt fuel.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im still adding in my mind.... tough when you get old.. er.. maturerrr. i changed out the IC line from 3/4" to this fire hose and im guess'n that had to had 15lbs - 20lbs as it was a full 50' of hose. then add additional water on top of that. probably a few gallons so thats another 15. so, i can see where the weight would come from. so, 80 for bars, another 30 for ic stuff, 15 for misc like larger ic which adds prob 5lbs easy. roll bar padding etc..

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I always liked the intercooler on the Quarter Flash dragster, the intercooler is in the ice tank so there is no hoses tanks pumps and a lot less weight!

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
ask tom or nick- they both scalled there cars with my set in the last month or so. Ive never had a variance of more than 10 lbs from the shop to sac

1 - 16 of 16 Posts