Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I had a RLR Black Magic disc in my turbo street bug when it last ran, and was very happy with it. I was running it with a Kennedy stage 3 plate and it held around 400 to the wheels. Coming from a puck disc, the engagement and street manners are great. I ran the disk for maybe one summer and pulled the trans to replace it with a built 091. Upon inspecting it as I'm putting things back together, the clutch has a hairline crack coming from one of the drilled spots between the clutch pads. Its about a 1/4" long... I put maybe 250 street miles on it that summer, never even got to the track. Needless to say I'm not very enthused with its service life. Anyone else had this happen? Any other clutch options worth considering? I hate to spend another $200+ to have one fall apart. I really don't see any reason it should have cracked. It never got hot, hell the disc looks new. Maybe this is just a fluke? When I was looking into one at first I was reading lots of positive feedback on them. I know a dual disc would be ideal but on the expensive side right now after all the $$ I shelled out on the 091 build.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
87 Posts
Im in the same boat right now. I have similar power output and setup as you have on my street car that im building and have talked to a few people.

Blackline racing has a new clutch disc. Its a new re make of the diamondback from when it was ace. It holds just as well with a little more slip and not so aggressive. It a little cheaper then the black magic. Its still new so give them a call. I might get there disc

·
Registered
87 Posts
its 1380 grams. 2 lbs i think. how heavy is the black magic?

·
Registered
328 Posts
My buddy had that happen twice with a RLR black magic, he asked Ron about it and Ron told him he never seen it happen before and he must be doing something wrong!!!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Thats exactly why I ditched mine and went to a Kennedy 4-puck and stage 1.

My trans guy has been cursing me for running that disk.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Thats exactly why I ditched mine and went to a Kennedy 4-puck and stage 1.

My trans guy has been cursing me for running that disk.
That's a good combo. I ran it for several years. Then I used the McLeod 8" PP (also known as J&G) with a BM for about a half season. I went with the four puck with that PP after.

The BM cracking is well known and documented, and I don't think it's linked to any single supplier. The Europeans have been discussing it for a long time looking for alternatives and answers

·
Registered
87 Posts
I confirmed more about the gold disc from blackline racing today

1180 grams in weight
material is a hybrid mix of ceramic and sintered iron. Best of both worlds.

Back in my audi days the best clutch that held 600 hp on my street car was kevlar/ceramic. Dual Friction style full face disc with approx 2600lbs clamp load pressure plate. Just like stock in every way, held anything and everything I threw at it. Now we just need one in the air cooled world

1 - 15 of 15 Posts