Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my understanding is that Brad got seriously injured at work when a truck ran over his leg requiring extensive surgery -- send him a get well at [email protected]

·
Registered
964 Posts
Re: slamonbuggy - Brad Hummeny - Injuried at work

Thanks Harold. I've been home for a few days and I'm doing alright. After 25 years of pulling wrenches a tiny slip up has cost me a great deal of time off and pain. I'm usually good about checking a vehicle to make sure it is in park or neutral, but got in a hurry as I bumped into somehting backing up and got out to see and well, it wasn't in park. Toyota Tundra's have big doors and down I went and the left front wheel went over my leg. IT could have been much worse as my work boot went under first but was stiff enough that it just skidded along the floor till it got out from under the tire and my tibia took the shot instead of my foot bones. I now have a rod from my knee to ankle and plated at both ends and some miscelaneous harware keeping it all together in the middle where it was crushed. Acoording to the med students the x-rays look "Really Cool" and I should try and get a copy

Lesson relearned, always check the vehicle is secured before getting out.

On the mend and looking forward to Bonneville in September

brad

·
Registered
12,854 Posts

slalombuggy said:
Thanks Harold. I've been home for a few days and I'm doing alright. After 25 years of pulling wrenches a tiny slip up has cost me a great deal of time off and pain. I'm usually good about checking a vehicle to make sure it is in park or neutral, but got in a hurry as I bumped into somehting backing up and got out to see and well, it wasn't in park. Toyota Tundra's have big doors and down I went and the left front wheel went over my leg. IT could have been much worse as my work boot went under first but was stiff enough that it just skidded along the floor till it got out from under the tire and my tibia took the shot instead of my foot bones. I now have a rod from my knee to ankle and plated at both ends and some miscelaneous harware keeping it all together in the middle where it was crushed. Acoording to the med students the x-rays look "Really Cool" and I should try and get a copy

Lesson relearned, always check the vehicle is secured before getting out.

On the mend and looking forward to Bonneville in September

brad
So sorry to hear but so glad your ok

Brad call me when you have time

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

Ouch, I have some experience with broken legs and lots of hardware (motorcycle accident). Get well soon!. I hope that you don't get any infections. Stay positive.

Chris Brown

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

oh man, just listening to your story makes me cringe. good to see you came through ok and it seems like it will all work out ok for you. sorry to hear about your incident. take care of yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That will teach ya to mess around with that Jap crap -- -- --- j/k

Take care of yourself ---

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thank y'all for your well wishes. The leg is doing very well, just some joint stiffness in my ankle and tightness in my calf muscles. Started physio a couple of weeks ago and all is going well. My therapist is getting everything moving right again and I have started working out in the gym trying to get back into some kind of shape. Hopefully I'll be headed back to work in a month or so but we'll have to see what the bone doc says. Apparently old bones don't heal so fast. LOL. Hopefully it starts to warm up soon and I can get in the garage to spend a bit of time each day on the 57 and pick away at some small projects.

Thanks again, brad

·
Registered
113 Posts
pour some salt in/on it & you will be up&eager to go again....go play in the salt that is. gladd to hear all is getting better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts