Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the limit with a stock fuel hose size on a 65 bug. I am swapping the trans and thinking of going to a 5/16 tube and routing to the regulator on the firewall since it will be a good time to do it. 1904 with 48 IDA's and heads by Clyde Berg. It ran 7.51 in my 1550# drag bug.
Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you're routing a new line, I'd go at least 3/8. If you ever plan on a turbo, or N2O, even larger. I have a buddy that went from 3/8 deadheaded with a Holley Blue to an AN10 feed with an AN8 return with an A1000 on his N/A Street/Strip Beetle with a 2332. It was around 1750 with him in it, and went from a pb of 12.02 to an 11.66 off the trailer with only the fuel system upgrade. I noticed a difference with my 1776/dual 40 IDF's going from a Facet with 1/4 inch line to a Carter with 5/16.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Put in the bigger line and use the original as a return (good) OR put in two new lines (best) --

Put in a bypass regulator (absolutely) -- It will make your fuel pump (and fuel) stay cooler, happier and they will live longer (keeps your fuel circulating and running through the filter and therefore cleaner) -- -- (Recommendation::: Spend a little extra money NOW and get stuff (regulator, filters and fuel pump) that are rated for alcohol, in case you might want to try E85 or Alkie (or modern pump gas) in the future)

More to-do's while you're at it ::::

-- Have a bung welded to the bottom of the tank (new pickup) and top (for return of bigger fuel line)

-- install a large high flow filter (from a big diesel truck)

-- remove the screen from the stock pickup in the tank (if you're using the stock for a return)

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanky fellers. I have a bung for a stock tank for a 3/8 hose. I think I will go ahead with a bigger steel line in the tunnel while I have the trans out and a better fuel pump. I hope to be running low 12's in street trim on M&H DOT's.
Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts