Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a header with the bigger 3 bolt flange. I can't for the life of me find a stinger for it. Who has them? Not sure what brand it is, at this point I wouldn't even mind cutting it off and rewelding it back on at the right angle if I can't find the exact right one. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Cut it off then re weld it, fifteen minutes and your done. I used to make my own, I used to run a nice fat long stinger you couldent buy already made.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Al's headers uses the large 3 bolt flange and CB sells his stuff. A-1 also has them. Check with CB or call Als Headers in Orange CA. for the flange and make your own out of your existing stinger.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I see that CB has the big flange systems, but they don't list just the stinger. I planned on calling them and asking if they will sell just that part. I also see that they list a baja stinger with the right flange, if I had to I could cut that one off and reweld. I don't want to cut up my stinger from my old system because I may go back to it if the new system doesn't test well.

Slightly off topic: why are ACVW's the only cars in the world that use a cone shaped exhaust pipe? Wouldn't a straight pipe work just as well? It would look stupid but it should work to just use a straight pipe. I'm not going to do this, just curious how we got on this kick.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
The big flange is a common domestic v-8 flange, easy to find on the shelf as an aftermarket header to muffler collector part. Easy to use an existing stinger (with a baffle it is essentially a straight pipe) and weld to fit.

If you change the header at the flange, make the quiet version at the same so when you out grow the noise you have something to put back on.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
A Thunderbird header used the big flange. V8 headers uses the big 3 bolt flange also. I used a flange from Summit racing and made my own stinger and made a muffler set up on my street cars.
Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another stupid question. Just bought my daughter ( maybe she will get tired of it) a 67 bug its been dropped all empi equiped did decent job with it needs a little more tlc. When it gets to temp it dies and wont start till it cools. I just got it started again after pumping the crap out of it , im pretty mechanical. Float, vaporlock. New motor carb etc

·
Registered
825 Posts
Was it sitting for long? If so, you may want to check the fuel filter and the bottom of the tank for sediment/rust buildup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope , been driving since we got it but now of course in tx its getting hot. Was thinking vapor lock but it seems to run a little warmer than " normal" this is my first bug always wanted one was lucky my daughter decided on it now i live vicariously

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Did you check for vacume leaks? A small leak will get much bigger once the engine gets up to temp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok update guys. Drove to get inspected of course its hot in texas. Ole lorenzo (daughter named him) didnt want to start. Pumped the crap out of him got him started and home. Going to start mad inspection soon got to have the gall bladder out so about a week and im back to it. Thinking about drag bug saw in s carolina cross fingers. so far these forums have come in very handy thnx and we will keep posting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts