Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just rebuilding my existing 2234 that came with my Baja. It was very limited by craptacular heads and dual Kads.

I replaced the case (the original was leaky, busted up, and ultimately broke a lifter bore).
Reusing 84mm crank.
Using AA thick wall stroker pistons and cylinders.
Clone IDF 44's.

It came with a W110 cam, which worked great with the crappy heads and dual Kads. That engine was FUN in my Baja. But I'll go with better Mofoco heads, and dual 44's now. That makes me think the W110 won't be enough.

I was given a Web 122/125 that I think will be far better than the W110. l think it'll be great for this build, but I didn't order dual springs for my head build. Anybody run HD springs with that cam? Or would you want something else to get good low end torque and good enough mid to high range power for freeway driving?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm just rebuilding my existing 2232 that came with my Baja. It was very limited by craptacular heads and dual Kads.

I replaced the case (the original was leaky, busted up, and ultimately broke a lifter bore).
Reusing 84mm crank.
Using AA thick wall stroker pistons and cylinders.
Clone IDF 44's.

It came with a W110 cam, which worked great with the crappy heads and dual Kads. That engine was FUN in my Baja. But I'll go with better Mofoco heads, and dual 44's now. That makes me think the W110 won't be enough.

I was given a Web 122/125 that I think will be far better than the W110. l think it'll be great for this build, but I didn't order dual springs for my head build. Anybody run HD springs with that cam? Or would you want something else to get good low end torque and good enough mid to high range power for freeway driving?
I believe your engine is 2332cc (94 x 84). Typo?
Heads should be upgraded, CBPerformance has the Panchito 044™ (40 x 35.5) 94 Bore $305 (each). Steve Tims heads (Performance Workshop) are a good option. Steve Tims sold me some stage 2 (42 x 37) and recommended Engle W-125 for my full body 1964 bug. He said my 2161cc (90.5 x 84) & (duel 44 IDF’s) should be 167hp. My 84mm crank require me to have Engle clearance my cam!
Whoever you use for heads can tell you the best combinations to use for your application. For off-road think about torque over hp? Transaxle will need to be upgraded to handle extra power!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This baja could SCOOT when running the old tired as heck 2234 (ahhh, typo!) with the not great heads, dual Kads, and W110 cam. I'm not expecting a HUGE difference, but the better flowing Mofoco heads and 44's should move the power down even lower, I'm hoping. Especially with the Web cam. The old engine pulled hard from around 2200rpm. I want to get below 2000 if I can for better around town fun with bigger tires. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For comparison, I have an 1835 in there right now with a progressive and a W110 cam. Gotta get it close to 3k to really feel it. I don't like that at all. It still moves well, but nothing like the old engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts