Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have been into Aircooled VW flat four engines for over 27years and I have to say when I came across this website and article about a little known or used factory piece of tin to help cool the Aircooled engine we know and love. I was shocked!

I have NEVER seen an single engine with this piece on it no matter what it was? Not on a core engine, one I pulled out of a car and tore down. Or one that I built up? And no one I talk to has ever seen or heard of one?

Why is this piece so unknown?

But it seems very necessary when you read this article. I have bought this piece and must say that after test fitting it on my cooler and fan shroud it seems completely true and needed to get the full benefit of the factory cooling system.

Check this out guys
http://www.zwerks.ca/In_the_Werks/Entries/2006/5/18_How_Werks_a_Doghouse_Sealing_Tin.html

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Just like an HVAC system in your home, any little leak is going to waste cooling efficiency. A few little leaks add up to a big leak. Not good.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I remember back in the RAMVA days (last century, lol) there was a website with the schematics to build your own "Hoover bit" if you couldn't find one.

I've got a couple in my garage for future street motors.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Careful, yes that is an early factory piece but later shrouds do not accept that piece. For example the venturi ring’ed US spec doghouse common to the FI engines will not accept the hoover bit, nor should they need one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My FI venturi doghouse shroud uses the Hoover Bit as well. It's a Canadian export model:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only engine I found this bit in was a very early AS code engine with low number like 0000634 or something..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Hoover bit on my FI injected venturi ring shroud. There were so many combos VW made it is hard to tell what fit when and where.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts