Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone made it out to check out the progress of 42? I saw the updates on the site/Facebook page, but just couldn't visualize what had been done. So on my way out to Indy for the weekend, I took the scenic route, and drove past the track. As I drove up 111 to the gate, I now found that the end of the track, that used to be level with 111, was now some 75 feet below the surface of 111 with a guardrail now bordering the road. With the end of the track, there were exits to each side, and the valley like hillsides talked about way back when before a shovel was turned. As I got to looking closer, it hit me, this is no longer the end of the track, but now THE BEGINING! Yes, you read that right, instead of entering the track on the North Side, racing West to East, we will now enter the track on the South Side, and race East to West! So looking at the track from 111 at the base of that huge cell tower, that's now the starting line looking down the track! The graded sides go the full 1/4 for bleachers, and they set back some around the 1/8 mile to move the crowd farther away from the track as speeds rise. After snooping at the gate off of 42, I saw the pile of new Aluminum bleachers WITH SEAT BACKS, like you would see at a top tier NASCAR track! I can't wait, and I hope we can get back there!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys, I know we're out of the loop this year concerning 42, but it looks like they're looking into track officials right now. I found a petition to try and keep John Harbaugh as the starter at https://www.change.org/p/new-owners-of-dragway-42-keep-the-famous-john-harbaugh-as-starter-for-the-upcoming-seasons I sent an email to the track, and GM Joe Gambino replied they have hired a starter, but did not say that it was John. John was one of the huge parts of 42 that made it better than all the other tracks I've run at, and it will be a huge disappointment for me if he's not part of the new 42 going forward.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts