Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,854 Posts
I have their torque bar which is very nice quality and their customer service is very very good!!

Bruce is the owner and fabricator and he will do follow ups to make sure your happy!

Highly recommend these guys!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
997 Posts
ive seen hm at bugorama for a while now- DOes anyone have any data or real world experience with this thing? About 4 years ago tom simon and I were walking through the pits and we asked him the same question and he said no- Not in an hihg horsepower drag car. Tom volunteered to put on in his fastback or staceys car and give him feedback and data but he wasnt interested ::)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
Thats quite a contraption, looks like it should be reasonably effective. He would do himself a world of favor if he'd give a couple to some racers and let them put it to the test for a season or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Am I seeing this right??? Rubber front, center, and Rear mounts.... I've got to be seeing the wrong angle or something.... Doesn't look so advantagious over solid mounts..... Too many things in the way..... Do they work????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
i'd love to see something effective and not solid mounted! if i want solid mounts, i'll ride a piece of crap harley.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,854 Posts
The mounts are rubber but the heim joint ended bars are solid and the main goal is to hold center section tight and this looks to be very efficient for that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
I do NOT wanna sound like I am tearing this apart, cause I am not. Ive thought about a "girdle" a number of times to hold the r/p more in mesh instead of relying on just the small side cover studs. The idea is to keep the side covers from "deflecting" or pulling away from the pinion causing failure. I have done a few through bolts on rhino cases using a 8mm headstud but dunno the exact hp that the idea would hold to.

This idea takes it a little further to create more of a sandwich kinda like aftermarket cases do with through bolts. There used to be someone a long time ago that did this idea as well. I have seen pics, but that was before my time......

The whole concept is good with the exception of the nose cone mount being of no use IMO. The cluster is better place to use as a front mount. But to tie in the rest of the rear of the car is a great deal!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,004 Posts
Newk said:
I do NOT wanna sound like I am tearing this apart, cause I am not. Ive thought about a "girdle" a number of times to hold the r/p more in mesh instead of relying on just the small side cover studs. The idea is to keep the side covers from "deflecting" or pulling away from the pinion causing failure. I have done a few through bolts on rhino cases using a 8mm headstud but dunno the exact hp that the idea would hold to.

This idea takes it a little further to create more of a sandwich kinda like aftermarket cases do with through bolts. There used to be someone a long time ago that did this idea as well. I have seen pics, but that was before my time......

The whole concept is good with the exception of the nose cone mount being of no use IMO. The cluster is better place to use as a front mount. But to tie in the rest of the rear of the car is a great deal!
I think Dean Lowry or someone in the same time frame did that with porsche boxes???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Newk said:
The idea is to keep the side covers from "deflecting" or pulling away from the pinion causing failure. I have done a few through bolts on rhino cases using a 8mm headstud but dunno the exact hp that the idea would hold to.

This idea takes it a little further to create more of a sandwich kinda like aftermarket cases do with through bolts. There used to be someone a long time ago that did this idea as well. I have seen pics, but that was before my time......

The whole concept is good with the exception of the nose cone mount being of no use IMO. The cluster is better place to use as a front mount. But to tie in the rest of the rear of the car is a great deal!
Paul Guard of GT Gears up in the Sierra foothills did an article in Hot VWs on this concept-full circle side covers, ARP through bolts, added washers to eliminate shaft movement, etc.,-very knowledgeable on the issue and talked about trans girdles and their applicability and strengthening the transaxle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,854 Posts
OriginalDKPanzer said:
Paul Guard of GT Gears up in the Sierra foothills did an article in Hot VWs on this concept-full circle side covers, ARP through bolts, added washers to eliminate shaft movement, etc.,-very knowledgeable on the issue and talked about trans girdles and their applicability and strengthening the transaxle
What issue?

Did it work?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
381 Posts
Those are some very nice parts. I love his torque bar with the clevises. The "sandwich" on the trans is especially nice, but I don't see the point of tying it into the tabs on the front of the frame horns. What load is pulling the trans to the rear of the car or putting a moment in the middle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Brian Watts said:
What issue?

Did it work?
Oh yes ... the complete solution works quite well. A number of well-known tranny builders ended their R&P nightmares back in 80's when following the complete build procedure ... most notably Engine Machine Service, who were having nothing but problems with the hard-launching BugPac car. This photo shows the Rhino through-bolt: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=296539 , but it is only part of the solution to R&P breakage problems (which also requires limiting forward pinion movement). Follow the link for a full discussion ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Pablo said:
Oh yes ... the complete solution works quite well. A number of well-known tranny builders ended their R&P nightmares back in 80's when following the complete build procedure ... most notably Engine Machine Service, who were having nothing but problems with the hard-launching BugPac car. This photo shows the Rhino through-bolt: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=296539 , but it is only part of the solution to R&P breakage problems (which also requires limiting forward pinion movement). Follow the link for a full discussion ...
thats why mendeola used a load bolt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Well, the thrust button ("load bolt") is a great addition to the overall package if there's room for one ... but because they really need to be about 3/4" diameter at the threads and perhaps 1/2" at the contact point, it's a difficult proposition fitting one in the Type I. Even (more so) with the thrust button, the through-bolt is required to keep the cover from lifting (note the location of Mendeola's cluster of closely-spaced sidecover bolts) ... and the pinion still needs to be kept from moving forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Pablo said:
Well, the thrust button ("load bolt") is a great addition to the overall package if there's room for one ... but because they really need to be about 3/4" diameter at the threads and perhaps 1/2" at the contact point, it's a difficult proposition fitting one in the Type I. Even (more so) with the thrust button, the through-bolt is required to keep the cover from lifting (note the location of Mendeola's cluster of closely-spaced sidecover bolts) ... and the pinion still needs to be kept from moving forward.
I agree, thats why if your making enough power to do that kind of damage, its time to step up to the big league's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
I was going to start a new thread, but that search thingamajig is just so convenient. I cam accross this while looking at Eyeball's Torque Bar. So does anyone have any experience with the trans girdle now that it's been out a couple years?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top