Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good times. You know I was thinking I was watching Dave run the green car from the stands at Sonoma. That thing was all over the place made the suggestion to rotate the steering box and get rid of the bump steer and it went straight. Man when I think of all the runs I have seen and ran I am just glad to be a part of the vw world.

·
Registered
892 Posts
BEAR said:
richie i ran k/gas w/a 74x88 eng it ran [email protected] .put in a 66x88-98 ci.ran [email protected] l/g the 69x88 eng. made more hp per ci. than any of my other combos at the time but i sold it with my b/mc car to finish my dragster .what a mistake . no one can really relate to a dragster like with a bug . my own personal thing is it should be finished in gray primer with the shakey MOTION SICKNESS ON THE SIDE aloha BEAR
Bear,it looks like you may get your wish,the motion sickness version seems the most likely era for it to be restored too after long discussions last weekend:)

cheers richie,uk

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
RICK STANCHFIELD said:
Good times. You know I was thinking I was watching Dave run the green car from the stands at Sonoma. That thing was all over the place made the suggestion to rotate the steering box and get rid of the bump steer and it went straight. Man when I think of all the runs I have seen and ran I am just glad to be a part of the vw world.

That's right Rick, I remember you & Sam came running over, you said I know exactly what's wrong with the car, your years of experience saved the day! Thanks again Bud!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the opportunity of seeing original photos of the 850 spyder when Bear had it in Beaumont TX. Brian Bly and Norbert Siegfried had photos of the car and Bear's shop and a wall of Wally's at the Rt 131 Pro Stock Race in Michigan this weekend. Turns out Norbert rode his 1979 Kawasaki down to Beaumont to visit Bear one summer.

How awesome is that? :cool2:

We just sat around after the race drinking a few and looking at those old pictures. So much fun.

Hopefully Bly and Siegfried will get those pictures up soon. If you have never met them you're missing out as they have been doing this for so long, have met so many old timers and run many hard passes along the way.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks for the Pics Mr Undepelo.
It is very interesting to see that your country has such a rich VW and dragracing history
that has been kept so quiet in most VW media.
Are you stin involved in VW racing?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks To Everyone On A Killer History Lesson,I Envy Anyone Who Got To See The car Race And Those Who Got A chance To Drive It, Love To See It Run Again

·
Registered
575 Posts
I was at the Winternationals in Pomona in 1971 racing my car, (the Auto Haus car) when the Fiat made it's debut. I have old 8 mm film of all the VW racers. The bullet, Deano Dynosoars, Lighting bug, Giant killer, Stut bee, Iguana, Renefree VW, Duty Dave, and the Auto Haus. Good memories ! Larry Kelley

·
Registered
11 Posts
BEAR said:
i totally dismanteled that car for painting when i had it. i know every nut and bolt . i was in total awe when doing this .i had never seen acar so purpose built like this before .it was made to be serviced between rounds if needed.1 person could pull the eng.and trans and be sitting in the staging lanes in 30 min. it was engineered by charley moorse and darrel vittone to be as light as could be and easy to work on .they accomplished both . it was the finest race car i ever had the pridledge to drive . i can go on fir hours on this can but pecker typing is hard on an old fart. i was promised a ride when the resto is finished and i,m holding him to it aloha from hawaii BEAR
hi bear,i cant type well good to hear you are well ,John Phoenix Tubes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone here.
Wow, amazed that we are still talking about this little car. If you are a " fiebru" from the island of Puerto Rico, This was our pride and joy and still talk about it. I know this tread is old but I am still wondering what ever happen to the restoration. Please keep us posted. When Jimmy Bou purchased the car from Darrell, my father was the one that design and painted the car candy apple red with silver and blue stripes. It has been painted and repainted but they keep using the same look that my dad did. If anyone knows, please about the car, my email is [email protected] My facebook page is Bella Rodriguez. Thank you

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts