Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are hoping to use one of my atv's for towing at Dragday. I have never done this. Do they still allow atv's? Does the rider have to wear a helmet? I remember many years back when that guy hurt himself in the lanes on a quad and I thought they changes the rules.

·
Registered
771 Posts
they require that you have a $1 million dollar bond. It's real easy to get from your homeowner's insurance carrier. Then they give you a sticker to put on your vehicle.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mike Lawless said:
What about using a pick-up truck?
They "chased me out with my truck", and I'M DONE running at Irwindale!

What really pisses me off is their rules seem to change "during the event". Ron Flemming was nice enough to say we could pull up the staging lanes and to exit through the gate before going out on the track. This was a good solution, and logical, we did not need to "go down the track" with a truck and delay the program. But as we started going rounds they (Irwindale's manager) told me to park the truck and we had to push the car "all the way" though the uphill staging lanes. Then they wanted to know why this 62 year old guy could not get the car back up for Final round quicker!

We are back to our roots swap meeter's.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mike, if you have a vehicle that's licensed with insurance, that is OK. I'm with you on that one John. From event to event at Irwindale, the rules change. That last Drag Day where we could have a tow vehicle during qualifying but not eliminations sucked.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
So we have three classes of cars without cooling systems, (OT, SS and Q16) and tow vehicles are not allowed?

I sure hope someone in authority can confirm or deny if that is to be the case for this event. Or do we have to wait till we've paid our money to be informed?

·
Registered
245 Posts
quads were allowed all the times we have been there.not three wheelers,you have to go all the way around the back way to pick up and return.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I know they let OT and think SS have the tow vehicles, IMO because they are the premier classes. I think I was in Q16, and the brackets, had to push.

I believe they wanted the event run without lights, and there was a lot of down-time that day. A decision that the track thought would make the program run faster. If they don't want tow vehicles on the track, make them turn out before the tower. They just need to be consistent and up-front to the racers.

I'd like to email Fleming, but guess he doesn't believe in computers because his email is not listed on UAC or the PRA websites.

·
Registered
676 Posts
They are working on allowing tow vehicles for S/S, OT and Quick 16. The golf cart use will be as others said. You can use them with the right insurance apparantly releasing Irwindale Raceway and Neway incorporated of liability.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i do believe in e-mail, [email protected]. now having said that the constant rule changing by the track has been a problem! but im working hard on behalf of my racers to get cosistent policy's.
i want to have tow vehicles for ot ss and q16, and will let you all know asap. there has to be co-operation on your part with insurance,helmets where needed and an understanding of the need to keep a driver in the rig to avoid wasted time. oh and bendig they still have this old fashioned device, mine works on 714 637-2889 m-f 7-4 gettin older and faster ron f.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well ****! Trying to maneuver a long wheelbase truck through the nowhere close to being organized parking lot sucked. I don't own a home anymore to have a homeowners policy so that's out. A good friend offered up a gas powered golf cart today and now that won't work. Hmmmm, I guess I'll have to leave the fan housing and alternator on and drive it!

Btw, I wish the parking lot was laid out in a grid like fashion. Everybody should get 4 parking spots. Not 4 in a row but 2 next to eachother and 2 deep. One side for truck and trailer. The other side for race car and camp (pit), whatever. Theres enough spots I think.

·
Registered
500 Posts
When I was out there in Oct last year, it did look like a screwey setup for tow vehicles, especially coming back and making that turn by the tower fence, looked like at least a few were going to take out the fence. I don't think my chevy crewcab 8 foot bed would of made it with a tow strap pulling the car.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
FYI
all people in the tow vehicles must have a pit wristband you get them at the tech booth on the north side of the parking lot

( Right John ?)….. :-*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts