Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is directed to the average everyday daily or street driven vw's. I have had a problem with my trans grinding into 2nd and 3rd if I don't pause before each shift and when I down shift into 2nd. I have already replaced the shift bushing and the trans mounts so those possibilities are out. I know the possibility of the syncro being shot could be the case too but I want to check every avenue before I replace the trans. I recently discovered that a specific gear oil, GL-4 should be used in our vw transmissions and using anything else can cause what I am experiencing. The weight of the gear oil isn't the issue, it is the type of gear oil that is the main concern of this thread. I haven't confirmed MY issue yet but I have heard that the use of anything but GL-4 type gear oil doesn't coincide with the material that is used to make the syncro's. I will keep everyone updated and if someone is already aware of this issue please ad to this thread to help us all out!

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
I have Redline Shockproof in my tranny right now. Better get yourself an industrial hydraulic pump for that crap though, its damn near as thick as peanut butter.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I run Synthetic in mine as well.

I can see how the thick 'shock proof' stuff can help take some of the 'bang' out of things, but how much ET do you think it's scrubbing off?

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Eaallred said:
I can see how the thick 'shock proof' stuff can help take some of the 'bang' out of things, but how much ET do you think it's scrubbing off?
Probably trivial. And whatever it does scrub off, I'll GLADLY trade that for a trans that may last longer.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I use the swepco in my drag box. you should see all the moly in the stuff! you have to shake it up before you add fill your box!

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Ive always used Lucas in all my cars because its available to me here at work. As to how my tranny looked after years of abuse, i dont know, we'll have to ask KCR, they rebuilt it for me recently.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Both in my street and race cars I run LAT. When I changed over to LAT on the recommendation of Mike Herbert, I noticed my trans would shift smoother through the gears. You can get it at Rancho or Geers engineering.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I'm running Shell Helix Synthetic Race Oil with no issues. Love it. Bought from the Ferrari dealer.

Any of you running a Quaife LSD?

What trans oil would you use if it had a Quaife LSD?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Redline MTL. I have this in all my VW gear boxes as well as the diff and transfer case of my work truck (2500 dodge 4x4). I was first introduced to this product in 1986 when my then employeer was racing GT 5 in SCCA. he had lost a drainplug in the gear box (unbeknown to us at the time) during a race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Not only did he finish the race but won. When we went to service the car before the next session we found the missing drain plug. I have used it ever since

1 - 17 of 17 Posts