Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fitting a new header to my car. The old one had 3/8" thick flanges and fit great. This new one has 1/4" thick flanges and when I tighten the nuts down, the flanges bend in where the nuts touch and it leaves a gap in the center of the flange. When I shine a flashlight from the backside I can see it through the gap! I took all 4 flanges and sanded them flat on a precision table, they flattened out, but as soon as I tighten the nuts again, it bends again. I also tried copper gaskets hoping they would have more crush, nope. The only thing I can think of is chopping off the wimpy flanges, and buying and installing thicker ones. I found these on CB's website, they look good. Any thoughts?

3698 Turbo Exhaust Flanges - Type-1 Cylinder Head Exhaust Flange - 1 5/8" ID (turbo quality)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Hate to say it but, Replace the flanges or get a different header. Your going to beat your head against a wall for a long time trying to get that one to seal.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have decided to replace the flanges. It's actually a nice looking piece except for the flanges. Now I need to decide whether to buy new ones or make them. The thought of welding new ones right over the old ones has occurred to me too.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I have decided to replace the flanges. It's actually a nice looking piece except for the flanges. Now I need to decide whether to buy new ones or make them. The thought of welding new ones right over the old ones has occurred to me too.
Back in the 80's when I couldent get 1/2" thick flanges I always stacked two flanges together on my turbo headers, it works as well as a solid flange.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts