Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
The Dry systems are only used on EFI cars that have the 'extra' injector rating to handle the increase (too make up the fuel not supplied by the system) -- (usually small HP systems) -- Yes they can effect the AFR when no fuel is adde

·
Registered
510 Posts
Please elaborate on this Marty!

If what Fiatdude is saying would apply and the appropiate/extra fuel is added to burn the injected (dry) NOS, then actually you are just using NOS as am extra power adder and the intercooler properties of NOS are just a side effect.
Am I correct in assuming this?

Or are there set-ups out there that indeed only use NOS 'dry' for intercooling-only? I would think that extra oxygen in your engine would lean the sh*t out of your mixture...or does it??

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Airspeed said:
Or are there set-ups out there that indeed only use NOS 'dry' for intercooling-only? I would think that extra oxygen in your engine would lean the sh*t out of your mixture...or does it??
They only nitrous that I know of that is used soley for intercooling purposes are the bar kits they mount to the front of air-to-air intercoolers, that spray nitrous on the intercooler. Seems like a waste to me since the same thing can be done with C-Oh-2, and its much cheaper!

Yes, nitrous itself does have intercooling properties (much like Meth or Ethanol), but it is still an oxygen-bareing additive, and it still has to have a proper "tune" for your motor...

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
It is used to help spool-up a car on the line and/or for an extra "boost" at the top end.
YES it "it leans the ****" out of the motor and should only be used momentarily.

I personally spray it right into the turbo.

[img= width=600 height=400]http://www.m-specmotorsports.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=152&g2_serialNumber=2[/img]

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
That is the location we used for the NOS on our turbo bikes back in the late 70's but we were adding fuel also for a 100 HP shot

·
Registered
510 Posts
2stroke said:
I just jetted my carb fat and ran a dry fogger

114 in the 1/8 it works
But at what risk? I understand now that spraying dry causes a lean condition. Do you know what your AFR was during the run or is the time the engine may run (too) lean too short for damage?

Just trying to fully understand what you pro's/experienced nos-users are doing ;D

·
Registered
892 Posts
Walter,
What Andrew is saying is that he compensated for the nitrous by making the carb to rich,without the nitrous on it would be to rich,with your set up you just get the ecu to do the same thing for you

cheers richie,uk

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
richie said:
Walter,
What Andrew is saying is that he compensated for the nitrous by making the carb to rich,without the nitrous on it would be to rich,with your set up you just get the ecu to do the same thing for you

cheers richie,uk
BINGO

AFR was logged and looked great, just turned out it was a bad idea on stock head studs and lifted a head in 4th gear with 35 psi boost+n2o

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Walter --

IMO you set your carb to run independently / stand alone (not Fat) then plumb your NOX to run the same way -- -- a dry system on a carb can hurt a lot of parts in a hurry, if everything is not perfect. But since I reread your post I see you're EFI. IF your injectors have some reserve (not at 100% useage) an EFI can make corrections to the fuel delivery from AFR readings to keep it from leaning it out.

But if you want a small complete NOS system to get you off the line or cool your boost charge then a 50HP or 75 HP isn't a bad idea. Then it comes down to just how much HP your engine can make without making a lot of small pieces. You can do it with a turbo, or NOS, or a combo of both

I've had friends making Nos systems since the 70's -- one Friend had a 9 sec land cruiser and would do 4 wheel burn outs -- -- and we used the small shots on the turbo bikes to launch and cool the charges when making a pass -- -- but to use a dry system -- to me -- is kinda like putting your finger nails to a chalk board -- makes me cringe. But if you notice on Marty's picture that dry system is on a EFI motor which can make the fuel adjustments automatically.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Turbo with Nitrous by M-SPEC :nos:

Thanks Marty ! :howdy:

[img= width=600 height=450]http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac328/lecidkg/Camera624.jpg[/img]

41 - 60 of 64 Posts