Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened did these ever get finished?

"The NEW Ultimate Aircooled Products valve covers don't have o-rings, but were built with stopping gasket movement and leakage.

These are still in development at this point, but have been on a handful of streetcars for past few months with zero issues,and zero leakage.

Not able to clear ratio rockers yet, but once we develop the cover to the point were ready to start selling them, we will look into making a clearanced set.

They are made of military grade high impact ballistic "plastic" that withstands heat,fuel,etc with zero negative effects!
And don't get scared off by the "plastic" factor, these are tough as nails and can be hit with a big hammer with no effect.

I have a set on my UAC Java Green project car with no leaks at all. http://ultimateaircooled.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php/topic,12905.0.html

On the inside we have the valve settings and head torque specs for those people that don't have them memorized it saves them hunting the manual for them"

Attachments

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Brian Davis said:
What happened did these ever get finished?
Still prototype status, but have a few sets with some builders and shops for feedback

At this point they do not clear big rockers but that is one of the suggested changes

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You would have to get someone to make new extra hard thick wire clips for larger valve covers and that might be difficult to find a quality product.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Brian Davis said:
You would have to get someone to make new extra hard thick wire clips for larger valve covers and that might be difficult to find a quality product.
they don't have to be taller just one section.....I have stock covers on there now that I got super technical on and beat 4 calibrated humps into the section just below the bail clips. rotated by hand with dykem paint inside covers and one by one heated up those spots separately using the ball peen end gave em some love :headbang: worked great! Been told they look like knuckles haha

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just did a Comp Elim engine with 1.4 pauters, and they cleared with a stock cover! I'll have to see just how much would have to go to make the pauters clear the UAC covers.

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
Jared Nickles said:
Just did a Comp Elim engine with 1.4 pauters, and they cleared with a stock cover! I'll have to see just how much would have to go to make the pauters clear the UAC covers.
Nice!!!

Let me know Jared and thanks for update

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Jared Nickles said:
I'd be curious at what RPM and temp they cleared and by how much. I've used stock covers before but they were beat out with ballpeen hammer. Even then you'd have to tweak them after making a pass because I'd notice where they would still hit.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Do you run them with the bail on upside down for a reason? I guess it would depend on the bail you used and clearance issues with the cars body. Are they going to come with Bails? Good idea, I would try them

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Brian Watts said:

For a street engine I always use stock valve covers with bails. I also cant stand the reglue of the gasket every other time. If the material can handle the heat and the bail system applies the correct pressure......

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I've been fighting leaking valve covers for awhile now. Just bought a new billet set of CBs with the orings figuring since I just bought the new set of heads and new covers I'd be good...NOT...Noticed a nice oil spot after the cars been sitting a while. For the life of me I just can't figure out what else to do.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like my cb "C" channels,no leeks. but I can see how the clips would be a little easyer&faster R&R.
I remember back when hartman was making these plastic/composit V8 valvecovers.

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
One way to help ensure that the v-covers don't leak is to put the cover on without a gasket or any glue/ residue. it should fit solid on the surface. Try to rock the cover. If there is ANY rocking, that means there will be a good chance of a leak. If not, there is a very good chance it will not . The cover is a precise stamping and is designed to seal in oil on a low to medium RPM engine using a cork gasket. Running the engine 50-60-80% faster than intended with an engine twice the capacity will "uncover" new weak points. Until someone comes up with something that is proven to work, it looks like adequate venting and using clean stock German/OEM covers with a lip AND German/OEM bales is still the best afordable street performance option at this time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to buy a set of these valve covers this past weekend at the swap meet at the El Prado show. Was wondering if anyone had any updates on if these ever went into production or the set I bought, we they part of the initial run? Do you think that the material these are made out of a better or worse to an steel or aluminum valve cover with respect to dissipating heat?

Thanks,
Jeremy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts