Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
BadDogRacing said:
Here's a thought.....that motor in the Warbird.
Heres another thought...... a different driver in the Warbird. ;D

I make no secret of it-- at this stage in my life, I have no desire to go under 10 seconds in a bug.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
That dragster is modern enough to where you could build another chassis to fit the parts, but then you'd still be into it for $15k minimum, that's if you did most of the work yourself.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Tom Simon said:
That dragster is modern enough to where you could build another chassis to fit the parts, but then you'd still be into it for $15k minimum, that's if you did most of the work yourself.
Yup. A matter of $$$. But where you going to race it. That's a lot of bucks for an exibition car.
If I had the budget, (and resources)....I'd buy the motor and go Pro Mod. Maybe I'll start playing the Lottery.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
FTG Racing said:
If it is the "Pressure Sensitive" dragster then its original owner was Steve Foster from Texas. He was the owner of Bug-E-Wherehouse. We bought the dragster from him in '92 with no engine. We campaigned the dragster with a Pauter block, Auto-craft headed, Hilborn injected 2854cc. The dragster originally had Jerico 4 speed air shift tranny. After continuous problems with tranny failures we installed a powerglide. The best time ever posted were low 7.40's at high 170's. The chassis was only certified to go 7.50. For the work needed to update the chassis we opted to build a new Bob Meyer T/A chassis with a Lenco 3 speed. We sold the car rolling (less engine & fuel system) to Todd Gosney who lived in Washington. Then Todd sold the dragster to Dan/Dave ? Pickering? from the Oregon/Washington area. A Pauter big block engine was installed with Hilborn injection. Pickering? ran in the high 7.30's to low 7.40's with tech all over his a$$ about the chassis cert.
If would be cool to see it out again.
Jason
Cool info... I remember attempting to be friendly with Dave "*******" Pickering at the spring '99 Sacto Bug o Rama and the guy wouldn't even acknowledge me with a hello. There's a handful of racers in the Northwest that fit this socially inept category. Fortunately, the list is pretty small.

Quick recap: I was walking through the pits, having shown up for the Saturday night test n tune after a long drive from Eugene, ORegon. I saw the guy's Oregon plates on his trailer so I said, "Made the trip from Oregon, eh?" He was fiddling with his laptop or something between rounds, briefly looked up sized me up and then went back to his laptop wihtout saying a word. His "crew chief," some bearded guy with glasses, stood with his arms crossed, gave me a dirty look (I've seen cleaner unflushed toilets at the track, lol) :turd: so I took the hint, muttering something to the effect of "good luck, *******" under my breath as I looked for a friendlier driver to bullshit with. And there were plenty. Lol

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
There was a dragster for sale the other day in vancouver WA on craigslist. it was set up about the same way. it might of been the same one. I'll stick that engine in my car.

VW DRAGSTER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: see below
Date: 2008-09-26, 3:12PM PDT

TURBO CHARGED AIR COOLED VW,SCAT 3 PIECE CASE,2 SPEED GLIDE WITH STALL ,9IN FORD
REAR.6 POINT CAGE,HILLBORN INJECTED

DAVE 360 263-3157

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Man - those old scat 3 piece cases are starting to float up to the surface everywhere -- I saw one at carcraft the other day -- those guys are saying that as the drag racers keep giving up, they are starting to find their way into sand buggies

I couldn't imagine what the machining costs would be to put one of those together now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:read: All, word is that Van Day has sadly passed away and that the family is considering selling the Pressure Sensitive dragster. I agree with all that it would be great to see it do its thing again!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
i would be interested if there is a SMOKIN deal on a aftermarket case like the scat, bp, ac, pauter, etc.

i heard the dragster was up for sale the other day too but didnt know why.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Dean N said:
i would be interested if there is a SMOKIN deal on a aftermarket case like the scat, bp, ac, pauter, etc.

i heard the dragster was up for sale the other day too but didnt know why.
Call the dudes at carcraft -- they are always coming across them

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
vwdragon said:
:read: All, word is that Van Day has sadly passed away and that the family is considering selling the Pressure Sensitive dragster. I agree with all that it would be great to see it do its thing again!
This is the person in charge of selling parts and vehicles from Vans VW buisness. Send an email and see what they are asking for the dragster.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=683603

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Won't that motor look nice in MY Fiat

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I'm confused... in the ad it says the engine and trans were built by VW Paradise. I remember Ocean Street Dan saying that previous owner Dave Pickering assembled some "leftover performance parts" in building the engine for the rail in one of the PRA videos. I wouldn't be surprised if Pickering took credit for someone else's work (see my earlier comments for my reasoning), but I'm just curious as to who did in fact build the engine that's in the car; perhaps it was sold at some point without an engine or trans?

61 - 80 of 92 Posts