Aircooled Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's

When my car is ready ('56 ragtop), I will be running the temporary 2ltr type 4 I have laying around. This engine has 009 ignition, 44 webers and should have around 120Bhp according the company that build it (secrets of speed)
I whant to equipe this engine with a shot of nitrous. Can someone explain me which hardware I need to do this? I already have 2 fuellines from the tank to the engine compartment. I was thinking to mount a big fuelpump on the front of the car and fit a T (in the fuel line) in the engine compartiment.

Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Fahrvergnugen said:
This engine ...............the company that build it (secrets of speed)
Friendly (unrelated to your q though) advise: take it apart, check everything and reassemble it or replace/machine parts where neccesary. That busted former company SOS had a really bad name...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Airspeed said:
Friendly (unrelated to your q though) advise: take it apart, check everything and reassemble it or replace/machine parts where neccesary. That busted former company SOS had a really bad name...
Hi Walter,

I heart the stories about SOS, but I have bin using this engine for a few years already and it seems to be a good reliable engine.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ok, didn't realize that core was your old engine that you've run for a while already.

I think Henk Hendriks can inform you what would be neccesary for Nitrous operation as he has lots of experience with the stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Airspeed said:
Ok, didn't realize that core was your old engine that you've run for a while already.

I think Henk Hendriks can inform you what would be neccesary for Nitrous operation as he has lots of experience with the stuff.
OK Cool, I will contact him. THUMBS UP SMALL

·
Registered
39 Posts
wizards of nos make really good kits based in uk .i use mainly nos parts in my kit and a twisted sanity controller you need 4 foggers fuel and nitrous solinoids a few relays a switch and ideally a controller ohh and a bottle with gas in it :thumbsup: a bottle heater is needed to get pressure up to 900psi
£1000 would buy all that brand new and give you as much extra hp as you can handle :nosavatar: :crazydriver: :drivingskid:
but beware once you start using it racing wont be the same again without it THUMBS UP SMALL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dannyboydkr said:
wizards of nos make really good kits based in uk .i use mainly nos parts in my kit and a twisted sanity controller you need 4 foggers fuel and nitrous solinoids a few relays a switch and ideally a controller ohh and a bottle with gas in it :thumbsup: a bottle heater is needed to get pressure up to 900psi
£1000 would buy all that brand new and give you as much extra hp as you can handle :nosavatar: :crazydriver: :drivingskid:
but beware once you start using it racing wont be the same again without it THUMBS UP SMALL
Thanks Danny, Do you have a simple drawing of the system?

Paul.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Austin Larsen said:
One pump or two?
really this is still coming up ?

all the best nitrous cars run 3 pumps .1 holley red ,1 black and 1 blue for the ultimate in performance.i would think at this point it would be common knowledge.

·
Registered
217 Posts
jim martin said:

all the best nitrous cars run 3 pumps .1 holley red ,1 black and 1 blue for the ultimate in performance.i would think at this point it would be common knowledge.
Can't you just use a stock mechanical pump?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jim martin said:

Thanks Jim,

But sharing this without explanation doesn't help me much. I know my way around cars and engines but I never used a NOS system. If it all was common knowledge I would not ask.
Don't misunderstand me, I appreciate your input but I need more info. Someone ones told me that if the fuelline is big enough, you could use one big fuelpump and use a T connection in the fuelline.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There was quite a stir on here a few years back over fuel systems when running a wet type kit on a carb vw. The end result is you need to be POSITIVE you have the volume and psi for what your doing. I am a advocate of two pumps UNLESS you get a REAL BIG pump. Ive done it both ways and it works. I believe for the newer nos player a dual system gets rid of a lot of "guess" work incase your tune is off.

Adding a blue holley just for the nitrous system is a easy deal IMO and you have plenty of security and adjustability to go have some fun.

Other than that depending on hp increase and your compression/cam the ignition system will be the next target for failure. MORE fire is better. Perhaps a msd type box with a trigger in your 009. Some boxes have the capability to draw the timing when your on the button as well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm sorry I could not help myself on the pump question of one or two, I couldn't help myself with a smart ass crack.anyway Jeff is dead on it comes down to fuel required and flow testing while monitoring fuel pressure drop.both Jeff and myself run WON systems and have had great success.
One thing wether you go with 1 or 2 pumps setup is either run a return style regulator system or if you run a dead head setup "t" into the inlet of the regulator say a small .030-.040 jet and bypass back to tank this will help stabilize the fuel pressure and prevent pulsing and vapour locks.
I don't know what your lines are that are pre run,hopefully one is a -6 and the other a -8
So with your current motor at 120 hp adding another 12 per cylinder netting a 50 hp zone increase. It's not allot of fuel needed, a good Mallory pump like a 110 or 140 up a -6 and after the reg return through the -8 will supply more than enough volume with very little fuel initial drop of,then one side of the reg to the carbs and the other to the fuel pulsoids.install a Hobbs fuel pressure switch on the nitrous fuel supply line as back up to cut nitrous system in case of fuel drop.also use a controller if possible and wire 2 micro switches in series. 1 on the clutch and 1 on the throttle .that way you are not spraying unless you are at least 80% throttle open and clutch is fully engaged.
There are allot of good threads in the nitrous section take your time ,start from the beginning and go through them all and take notes.you will not hurt your motor if you go about things safely

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jim martin said:
I'm sorry I could not help myself on the pump question of one or two, I couldn't help myself with a smart ass crack.anyway Jeff is dead on it comes down to fuel required and flow testing while monitoring fuel pressure drop.both Jeff and myself run WON systems and have had great success.
One thing wether you go with 1 or 2 pumps setup is either run a return style regulator system or if you run a dead head setup "t" into the inlet of the regulator say a small .030-.040 jet and bypass back to tank this will help stabilize the fuel pressure and prevent pulsing and vapour locks.
I don't know what your lines are that are pre run,hopefully one is a -6 and the other a -8
So with your current motor at 120 hp adding another 12 per cylinder netting a 50 hp zone increase. It's not allot of fuel needed, a good Mallory pump like a 110 or 140 up a -6 and after the reg return through the -8 will supply more than enough volume with very little fuel initial drop of,then one side of the reg to the carbs and the other to the fuel pulsoids.install a Hobbs fuel pressure switch on the nitrous fuel supply line as back up to cut nitrous system in case of fuel drop.also use a controller if possible and wire 2 micro switches in series. 1 on the clutch and 1 on the throttle .that way you are not spraying unless you are at least 80% throttle open and clutch is fully engaged.
There are allot of good threads in the nitrous section take your time ,start from the beginning and go through them all and take notes.you will not hurt your motor if you go about things safely
Thanks Jim, This is good info. I might look in to that two pump thing. THUMBS UP SMALL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jim,

It is bin a wile (6 or 7 years) but I am still working on the car (it was in a dark corner of the shop for a wile)
Now I have the following set-up;
AN8 supply to an AN8 filter.
AN8 from filter too 2 pumps. (one for the carbs. and one for the NOS)
AN6 from each pump to the regulator.
AN6 return from the 2 regulators to the fueltank.

I bought one fuelswitch for the fuel pressure of the NOS fuel system, do I need a second switch to control the fuel pressure of the carb. system as well? if the carb.system fails it also runs dry.

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts